Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, December 16, 2023

Another RSC Top completed

Another finish is always good, especially at this time of year when things are so busy with pre-Christmas things to do.  This one is one of the two Little Bricks projects (many thanks to Silvia for the pattern) I had been working on during the year.  I decided to make a zig zag version of the  bricks, just to see how it would turn out, and it was started in July 2022.  And yes, I’m very pleased with it.  I added a striped fabric as a border.  This will be a donation quilt.

P1050278

Zig Zag stacked bricks

I have to say that I’m rather concerned by the amount of unfinished RSC projects I still have from the last year or so.  So I think  I’ll have to be much more restrained with the number of projects I start in  2024, to make time to get to grips with finishing these older projects. 

We have had a busy old time the last few weeks, going out and about with pre-Christmas happenings.  One trip last week took us past the Rainbow Bridge, situated off the Transmission Gully motorway.  I can just imagine all the beloved pets passing over this pretty little bridge on their way to heaven, waiting to be reunited with their owners later on.

P1050251

The Rainbow Bridge

We took a trip to the local licorice factory, RJ’s, to stock up on Licorice Allsorts for the holidays.  On entering the shop we were rather alarmed to see a whole bunch of police inside, and wondered what the emergency was.  Seems the only emergency was that they had ran out of licorice, and often call into the shop to replenish their supplies.  The police personnel left with their arms full of goodies, and we looked around to see what we wanted to buy and take home.  There are lots of different varieties of licorice produced here, but we prefer the good old fashioned licorice allsorts, as pictured on the sign.

P1050268P1050270

Licorice heaven

15 comments:

Kathy S. said...

Congrats on another RSC finish. Love the border you picked for it. Happy holidays.

The Cozy Quilter said...

I still have a stack of RSC quilt blocks from 2022 sitting in a drawer waiting to be put together! That’s a neat way to put your brick blocks together! The recipient of this quilt will love it.

Maria said...

Lovely RSC quilt. I’ve also got a few RSC blocks to make into quilts.
Oh so many delicious licorice to choose from in that shop.

Julierose said...

I just think your Christmas "header" is adorable--so festive!! And the Zig Zag Bricks turned out beautifully...I finally got my Bramble center done--hoping the next prompt will be after the Holidays.
We are in resting mode today; DH needs to walk though for his condition. We plan to go to the boardwalk on the CT River as they have many benches where you can sit and rest if one or the other of us tires. We are limiting food intake today to lighter meals....
So far so good...grateful that he didn't have to go to hospital this time.
Thanks for your kind wishes...hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

your quilt turned out great - I understand the need to step back and think about the RSC quilts, I started so many in 2022 that I didn't make any new ones this year and concentrated on finishing them and quilting them I still have 2 to quilt so I might make one new one in 24

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your Zig Zag bricks quilt is wonderful, Jenny! And you definitely found the perfect border for it. That would make stop and wonder to see a bunch of policemen in a shop - how fun that they just needed licorice, too! I think my hubby would like that shop.

Sara said...

That is a very clever use of the brick shapes. Love that striped border too!

A licorice store - yum!!

Chantal said...

Congrats, Jenny, on getting a top finish. I like the design too. Well done! ;^)

maggie fellow said...

great idea for the little bricks - and I love licorice, too

Tired Teacher 2 said...

The quilt is very attractive. I like the zig zag setting a lot. Ooh, I’d love to visit the licorice shop!

Cathy said...

I’m with Julierose - I love your Christmas header of Santa and his sleigh With those cute chubby reindeer! Your Little Bricks quilt top is adorable! I started mine right when you did, and you beat me to the finish! Congrats on a great top with a unique layout. Like you, I have so many left to finish. I love the Rainbow Bridge! That’s hilarious about the police wanting to stock up on licorice. Here in the US, officers are (jokingly) associated with doughnuts. Have a great week and Christmas, Jenny!

Connie said...

Lovely quilt that pattern is very striking. A store filled with licorice, how exciting! My fave is the good old soft black licorice. I try to keep my jar full ( well never running completely out for more than a couple days). When Steve's brother retired from law enforcement we gave him a box of donuts. Here, there is a big joke that if you need a policemen go to the donut shop, LOL. He was a good sport and took it with a grin :)

Janice said...

Your RSC quilt is really effective and the striped border is the perfect choice. I too have some unfinished RSC blocks. I intend to do something with them next year.

Linda in UK said...

What a clever idea to place the bricks in a zigzag pattern. So effective. I love Liquorice All sorts too. Only problem is that once I eat one I can’t stop! So I haven’t bought any for years. Im the same with Maltesers. Happy Christmas, Jenny.

Jenn Jilks said...

That quilt is AMAZING!!!!