Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Thursday, December 28, 2023

Where are we now?

We have moved on from the family small holding after four very pleasant and relaxed days.  Before we arrived, I was a little worried about the family dog and how he would react to a strange cat on his property.  Noodle would come and look at Gemma through the closed screen door.  Then one morning Robin had the screen door open, Gemma was on her lead, and the two met nose to nose!  I was amazed that nothing untoward happened.  It may well have been a different story if Gemma was outside the safety of the caravan door.

P1050327

First meeting between Gemma and Noodle

After meandering up and down hills on a minor road, it was then straight up SH1 passing through Waiouru.  It was clear that the school holidays were in full force as the carpark in the Waiouru Army Museum was full to bursting.  Kids were everywhere, climbing over the tanks in front of the museum to their hearts content.  A little further along the Desert Road we got a reasonable photo of Mt Ruapehu.

P1050348

Mt Ruapehu

And to the right of Ruapehu was Mt Ngauruhoe, which featured as Mt Doom in the Lord of the Rings films.

P1050351

Mt Ngauruhoe, Mt Doom

We were heading for Lake Maraetai, at Mangakino, a freedom camping spot for a change, we don't often stay at these.  The first area we checked out was full of campers and day trippers, no room for our long caravan here.  Before we moved on to another area I stopped to take a photo of this interesting set up.  How about is cute little tear drop caravan!

P1050360

Parked at the lake side

We found another area not too far away with plenty of room for us to get set up.  But…….. on arrival when I was moving Gemma from the car to the caravan we were set upon by the  neighbour’s off lead little dog!  That's one of the reasons we don't do freedom camping, people don't care that their dogs run free into other peoples camp sites.  And the reply when I mentioned that we had a cat and could they please keep their dog under control?  “Oh”, she said, “Our dog is trained not to chase cats, and we can’t find the lead”.   No wonder I get upset!  Just as well we are only staying for one night.

P1050363

Lake Maraetai

I've taken both my knitting and stitching bags away with me, but so far haven't much to show at all.  Before we left home I made sure I had completed the heels on my 4ply blue socks.  As a  very average knitter, I think whoever worked out how to design and shape heels must have been very clever indeed!  With that done, it’s all plain knitting till I reach the toe shaping.

P1050289

Blue socks so far

We will be heading further north each day, we like to keep our drives short while towing if we can.  There is a family 60th birthday to attend on New Year's Eve, which should be fun.

13 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I take it that the "freedom" campsites are free that you pull in and camp overnight without paying - kind of an informal campground? We actually liked those places but then we did not travel with a pet to think about - most times the places were very quite all sticking to their own site enjoying the quite

Maria said...

Safe travels…
I would be upset too if there was a dog wondering free.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Sounds like you are having a wonderful camping trip, Jenny. Such pretty scenery to enjoy as well. The socks that you are knitting look wonderful. I love the band of color on them Happy New Years.

Lyndsey said...

The scenery is beautiful. As a dog owner I get very annoyed when people let their dogs off the lead in inappropriate places. I also dislike that so many dogs haven't been trained to the recall. It took ages to get Missy to come back on command but it is really important for everyone's safety, including the dog.

Julierose said...

We are in the midst of a really heavy rain and wind storm today--46 degrees--if this had been snow it would have been a blizzard for sure...happy to stay inside and crochet a bit...
My granddaughter Willa, when she saw my afghan, said "Grand-mere- I need to know how to crochet!!" [ She is 9 going on 30!!] Such a sweetheart...

Sounds like you've had good weather on your travels...it is always amazing to me, having been a dog owner most of my life, that people just always say about their snarling dog or jumping dog, "Oh he's really very friendly!" Off leash of course!! Don't get me started. Some people just cannot think of the other person's point of view!! S I G H ...
Love that picture of Gemma and Noodle nosing through the screen...;)))
hugs, Julierose

Jenn Jilks said...

That would really upset me. We've had a few dogs harass our cats when we lived at the cottage.
Your knitting is great. That is a perfect colour.
I hadn't heard about a freedom camp. I'll have to look it up.

Connie said...

That tear drop being pulled my a vintage pickup truck . . . how adorable is that?
The photos you took could have been taken in our county of Washington State USA, how about that!
Safe and happy travels,
Connie :)

dq said...

Jenny, I read your comment on Janimary (Janice)'s blog. You should join us in the challenge.

I love your camper and can see that you are enjoying adventures in it.

I don't knit. I crochet - well - I used to before I started quilting. Love your hat.

Kim said...

So, you're both on the road again enjoying the lovely scenic views. How fun. I rather love that red truck and teardrop caravan. Love those socks, too.

Janice said...

Other than the dog incident, it sounds like a fun trip. Your scenery is spectacular. The retro camping set up certainly is a cutey. I'm sure you will have the socks finished in no time. They will be very toasty warm.

Karen S said...

This is a lovely way to spend the Christmas and New Year break. Keep having a wonderful time.

Jo said...

Hi Jenny, I see you are going to join in the CHOOKSHED Stitchers 2024 Challenge. This will be fun. Can’t wait to see your list

Jackie said...

It sounds as if you are having a great trip. One would think people would keep their animals under control. I hope Gemma managed to stay safe as well as the two of you.

Those socks are looking just lovely.

God bless.