Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, July 22, 2023

Red Blocks and Bags

Some more red RSC stitching has taken place this week.  I stitched up some Horizon blocks in black/grey backgrounds using splashes of red.  These blocks will be eventually made up into an older boy’s donation quilt.  I do like the visual impact these simple little blocks have.  And as an idea for next years RSC, this design would no doubt look lovely using up some of my cream base ditsy florals as the background, with brights for the colour accent.

P1030402

This months Horizon blocks

I've also made some draw string bags to be donated to  the Foster Hope charity for kids in care, they  use these bags for toiletries or pens and pencils.  I stitched up three using a small nurses panel I bought while tripping around the South Island earlier in the year.  This small offcut cost me the grand sum of $1 and featured six different nurses heads.  Much too small to make something quilty with, so I used two of the prints on both sides of each bag, adding grey and red.  The extra bag used up the last piece of the red and white diamond print fabric I had hanging about,  so it was great to use that up too.

P1030394

Draw string bags for Foster Hope charity

17 comments:

Linda In UK said...

Your Horizon blocks are great. Love your little drawstring bags. I’m sure they will be well received.

The Cozy Quilter said...

You are very generous with your donation projects. Those bags are cute!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Cute projects, nice little stashbuster ideas.

Julierose said...

Really cute little bags; and lovely colors in your horizon blocks. Have a great rest of your weekend;)))
Hugs, Julierose

Janice said...

Great red projects. The bags are super fun.

Sara said...

Those Horizon blocks intrigue me. Wonder if they would work with denim? I have a tub of denim that I've collected.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your Horizon blocks are great with the red strips against the darker background! These are going to make a fun quilt. I love those bags, too - looks like a great way to use up panel pieces!

Maria said...

I like the horizontal blocks.
Cute bags and a good way to use up smaller pieces.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Those blocks look SEW good in RED!! Great idea for next year's RSC, too. Those florals will make a lovely background!

grammajudyb said...

Those horizon blocks will make a great guy quilt! Big guy or litter guy, it’ll be awesome. I absolutely love that Nurses print. A good way to feature those “silly ladies “!

Jenn Jilks said...

Well done!

Jackie said...

Those horizon blocks are the perfect colours for a boy. The bags are awesome and the nurses heads really set them off.

God bless.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

I really like the horizon blocks . They look like a fun block to piece. The bags are so darling. Have a great day, Jenny.

Raewyn said...

You are right, the Horison blocks are very effective...and would work well in a variety of fabrics. The wee bags are a great use of the print fabric and will be appreciated by the recipients.

Cathy said...

Oh, I've made some pretty busy looking Horizon quilts but I just love the black/gray version. What a great idea. Never thought of doing one color range.

Someone gave me a panel with those nurses on it a long time ago and I have not been able to figure out what to do with it. What a fun and creative idea you had to use it on those bags!

Susie H said...

Those are very cool Horizon blocks. You're doing a good job using up your red fabrics between the Horizon blocks and the drawstring bags. I hope you're having another great week of sewing!

Preeti said...

I agree with you. These simple blocks have such a strong visual appeal. They will make a very handsome quilt. I'd love to sleep with that one :-D