Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, July 9, 2023

New Socks for Winter

This pair took a while to finish, as all my knitting does, but here they are at last, in time for winter.  I knit my socks on two needles and have finally finished stitching the side seams up.  I laid the socks on the floor to take a picture, and Gemma thought they were put there for her to inspect and give the seal of approval.

P1030379

These thick triple knit socks were knitted using 8ply white hand spun wool, a birthday gift last year from my friend Merilyn, together with left over 4ply burgundy Zauberball  sock yarn.  This is my first time knitting with hand spun wool, and I’m really pleased with how they turned out.

P1030382

My new socks

Robin and I had a movie date on Friday.  We don't go to the movies very often, but when there is a film we particularly want to see, we certainly make an effort.  Films don't seem to remain too long at out local cinema and we have missed some we really wanted to see by not acting quickly enough.  So we  drove down to Focal Point Cinema to attend the 5.00pm session.

P1030385

Our local cinema

And look who we bumped in to.  My younger sister Karla and her partner Murray.  They were having a coffee and snack before going to visit some friends.  We had plenty of time before our session started, so joined them for a coffee and a good catch up while we were waiting.

P1030387

Jenny, Murray and Karla

The film we were going to see was Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.  “Daredevil archaeologist Indiana Jones races against time to retrieve a legendary dial that can change the course of history. Accompanied by his goddaughter, he soon finds himself squaring off against Jürgen Voller, a former Nazi who works for NASA”.  Indiana Jones is the first to admit that he is not as young as he used to be, with the passing years giving him aching joints and slight memory loss!  It was a rollickingly great yarn, with plenty of action scenes, and an unexpected story line.  Indie fans will love it!

P1030393

20 comments:

Kim said...

I would imagine hand spun wool for knitted socks would be lovely and soft and cosy, Jenny. The socks are fabulous. How fun to go to the movies and see the latest Indiana Jones movie. They are always enjoyable to watch.

Gretchen Weaver said...

Your socks look very cozy, perfect for cold winter days. So nice you had a quick visit with your sister. Have a good week with lots of happy stitching!

Joanne in Massachusetts said...

Glad you got to see the new Indiana Jones movie, as I did. It only had showings for 2 days at my hometown theatre (an IMAX)!

Julierose said...

Gosh we haven't been to a movie theater in ages!! Sounds like you had a fun time with both the show and your chance meeting to catch up!! I always enjoyed the Indiana Jones series...
Hugs, Julierose

CathieJ said...

I can't remember when Hubby and I went to a movie. Too long. Your socks are really pretty. I am sure they will get a lot of use during the cold winter months and they are Gemma approved also!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those are such pretty and cozy looking socks, Jenny! Nice finish. The movie sounds fun, too!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that is the movie I want to see too - I was just telling Mike the other day that we needed to plan to see it but here they stay awhile so we still have time - glad to hear you liked it

Angela said...

Such cosy looking socks!

Anonymous said...

Glad Gemma approves of your socks. She’s a funny cat! You always have such grand adventures! Gail at the Cozy Quilter

Tired Teacher 2 said...

The socks will keep your feet toasty this winter. I haven’t seen the film yet, but maybe this week.

Quilter Kathy said...

My son went to see that film yesterday and enjoyed it.
So fun to run into your sister at the movies! Great job on the socks ...and approved by snoopervisor Gemma!

Sarah said...

Lovely snuggley socks. Nice to bump into your sister! I do love Harrison Ford, so good to know his latest film is worth the effort.

Judith nb Serena said...

Although I haven't commented in a while I have been following your posts. I love your socks in fact you have inspired me to have a go at sock making myself and I have recently finished my first ever pair of knitted socks, done on four needles using 4ply Pure Welsh wool. Although they felt rough while knitting once finished and I tried them on, they are very cosy. Might have to make another pair! At the moment I'm crocheting porthole doilies.
Judith nb Serena

Maria said...

Bet those socks are warm and cosy.Gemma approves.
How nice to have bumped into your sis and partner and enjoy a cuppa together before your movie.

Nancy said...

Your socks are beautiful with the mix of yarns, and I'm sure they'll be comfortable and warm during the winter because of the wool.
I keep hearing good things about the newest Indiana Jones movie. I hope I can see it soon. I recently learned that Harrison Ford is 80 (81 on the 13th) which makes him amazing.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Your wool socks look amazing and will be so warm and toasty on your toes. It looks like Gemma likes them as well. Isn't it funny how are fur babies like to check out our projects? How wonderful that you got to go to the movies especially since you bumped into your sis. Have a lovely day, Jenny

Raewyn said...

Your socks look lovely and cosy Jenny - I've sure you will enjoy wearing them in the months ahead! It sounds like a fun picture to see. It's been a long time since we've been to the movies.

dq said...

I had no idea there was a new Indiana Jones movie! I love them.
How fun to run into your sister as well.

Those socks look so cozy and warm!

Karen S said...

Your socks always look so warm.
Great to have a film night, too.

Sosoxy said...

Cool! I've always liked woolen socks. I only wear these in winter.