Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Wednesday, August 24, 2022

New Chair and UFO Flannel Project

I’ve had my eye on one of these “sewing chairs” for a while, and I’ve finally ordered and collected mine.  For as long as I’ve been sewing at the sewing machine I’ve used a dining chair.  Over the years things have slowly got more difficult, especially over the last year or so with my back problems.  So I thought it would be sensible to get a dedicated, adjustable sewing chair.  I’m still experimenting with the best height for me, and I’m pleased that I can move the chair, on castors, right up close to the sewing machine, to keep my back straight and stop myself from leaning over.   Must say that I love the covering!

P1000313

My new chair

Like most of us, I’m sure, I “follow” and read quilt blogs, and was inspired by Karen of Quilts, etc. as she was working on hand quilting  her lovely flannel quilt.  This reminded me that I had started, and put away, two flannel baby quilts – why does that happen, I wonder?  So I resurrected them, and have been working on the “blue for a boy” one.   I laid the blocks on the bed to see how much I had done with these blocks, and Gemma gave them the snuggle test..  Hadn’t done too much at all, it seems, I need to stitch more.

P1000317

Gemma trying them out for size

So I stitched up a few more.  These are quite big blocks, and I’ll be setting them three by three to make a cot quilt, with an added border, fabric for this yet to be purchased.  In quilting circles, this soft fabric is known as flannel.  But I know it as winceyette and can remember using it to make cuddly pyjamas for my children when they were little.  It also made cozy winter sheets.

P1000354

Blocks done

What else?  Over the last few weeks I’ve been sewing up kiddies four patch blocks as leaders and enders.  They are growing nicely, and I will put a frame around each one, sometime.  I’m in no hurry to finish these.

P1000355

More four patches

10 comments:

Julierose said...

What a great "buttoned up" sewing chair--I have a rolling desk chair that i find most helpful. Sitting closer and straight is the best for sure.
Your flannel blocks look really neat--they should be fun to hand quilt--so soft. hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

thanks for showing your patchwork blocks and I hope you do finish them now that you go them out. That chair is so cute - just right for sewing and I hope it will work out for your back.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

I don’t like sewing with flannel (too much fuzz), but I love sleeping on flannel sheets during the winter. Your projects look great, and are certainty Gemma approved.

loulee said...

You have been making good progress.
Cute chair.

Jackie said...

Great progress on the blocks.

I love that chair. I have also been using a dining room chair and my back does not thank me for it. I am now going to look into getting a real sewing chair.

God bless.

Maria said...

A lovely new sewing chair Jenny. Hope it’s really comfy.
The Flannel quilt will be warm and cosy….
Beaut four patch kids blocks too.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

What a fun post, Jenny. I am so glad you got a new sewing chair. I have always admired them but like you am using a dining room chair right now. Lots of cute blocks that you are working on. I can not wait to see what you have in store with the four patches. Happy quilting.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Love the new chair! Maybe I should trade in my old basic folding chair someday. The flannel blocks are sweet, great that they are pre-cuddled by Gemma so you know a baby will love them. I'm enjoying your four patch blocks with novelty fabrics, great idea.

Karen S said...

Definitely a good investment. Those chairs are great. i have had mine for a few years now and still love it!

FlourishingPalms said...

You are long past due to have a proper quilt chair. I'm glad you indulged yourself and got this one. On casters is good, and height-adjustable is good. Your back should be much better with this. I have two such sewing chairs and one of them is so old that I've recovered it. Yep, I learned from a blog post how to take it apart, put in new foam, recover it, and put it back together. I was pretty proud of myself for that one. Nice that you're back to hand quilting, and doing it with such soft fabric. I'm sure it's a pleasure to stitch.