Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, August 28, 2022

Birthday Socks

After seeing a snap chat  picture of a pair of cozy thick wool socks (12 ply/triple knit) I had made myself recently, my daughter had a request.  Could I knit her a thick pair of socks for her birthday?  (I had previously made her and the granddaughters a finer 4ply pair each for Christmas).  Of course I could, she often wears gum boots at their rural country homestead, so these would certainly keep her feet warm and comfy in the winter.  Today is her birthday, so I can now share a photo of the birthday socks.

P1000306

Birthday socks

These thicker socks are so much quicker to knit than the 4ply ones.  I have a good selection now, and love to wear them in the winter.  Nicky sent through a snap chat photo this morning wearing her new socks, so it’s good to know they fit her well.

My sock knitting adventures aren't  over yet, I’ve two more pair cast on and started.  The thick  purple/grey pair are made from grey double knit and left over purple sock yarn, so will be nice and cozy.  The burgundy pair are made from 4ply Zuberball yarn – and there is a bit of a story about these.  I had previously knitted two pair in this wool, one for my BGF’s birthday, and the second pair for me.  Sadly my pair were just a little tight, goodness knows why, so I passed them on to my daughter, and they fit her fine.  So I’ve gone up a size in the knitting needles, and hopefully there will be enough yarn to complete a pair for me.  If not, they will become Franken-socks!

P1000371

Knitting two socks at once

That’s not the only knitting on the go.  I’m also knitting a few dish cloths – more about them later…..

19 comments:

Karla (ThreadBndr) said...

Sometimes 'Frankensocks' are the cutest ones! Your heavy socks look toasty. I wear sport weight (like Opal sport) with barn boots, too. They do give some insulation for winter for sure.

I am rather wanting to cast on socks now LOL.

Julierose said...

Lovely thick woolen socks you've knitted...they really look cozy...
Have fun knitting away there;))) hugs, Julierose

Maria said...

Such cosy socks, lucky granddaughter….
Two more nice socks on the way….

The Cozy Quilter said...

Nice birthday socks! I need to learn how to knit socks!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

isn't it nice that they all like your socks and ask for more!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those are pretty socks, and a great gift for your daughter, too! I'm so impressed with your sock-knitting skills - that's something I would love to learn, but don't know where to start. Enjoy your knitting today, Jenny!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I need to learn how to do this, I have knitting needles in every size made and two bags of yarn just sitting.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Lovely socks! The purple ones look comfy for wearing with gum boots. Happy Birthday to your daughter.

CathieJ said...

I love those purple socks. They look so warm and cozy. The two pairs that you are working on now are pretty yarns also. Enjoy your knitting. Have a great week!

Karrin Hurd said...

Beautiful socks, all of them! Hope you have a great week!

Linda said...

Lovely socks, it will soon be sock weather here in my part of Canada.

Nancy J said...

The socks are lovely, super colour and thicker wool makes them knit up so much quicker.

Sue Daurio said...

Lucky girl getting cozy handmade socks for her birthday, love them!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Happy birthday to you dear daughter. I hope her day was a joyous one. What a wonderful gift that you made her. Love the color of fibers you used. They will certainly keep her footsies toasty. Have a great week.

Jackie said...

I love your Frankensocks. Such pretty colours.

God bless.

Karen S said...

I do like seeing these snuggly socks. great idea in a 12 ply. So warm.

Sarah said...

Love those socks, they do look cosy!

ButterZ said...

You do a really good job knitting those socks. Love the purple ones.

FlourishingPalms said...

How wonderful that you have the skill and yarn to knit a pair of socks on request! That's very impressive. And they're pretty, as well as being practical. Good for you to make them, and dishcloths.