Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Thursday, June 2, 2022

Out and About

We've enjoyed a few little outings lately, meeting up with friends for lunch.  In fact, last week was very social indeed, with two lunches in a row.  The first was down at Paraparaumu Beach – where I did a drop-off with a bag of donations for Foster Hope, a charity which helps children in foster care.  The children often arrive at their foster homes with very little indeed,  so Foster Hope gives each child a back pack with toiletries, pajamas, underwear, and whatever else they made need.  My donation last week was a selection of 18 draw string bags for toiletries (or pens/pencils if they prefer) and two children’s quilts.  All these items have been made over several months.

P1000025

Donation for Foster Hope

Then it was time to meet up with our friends, at a new to us café on the beach front.  It certainly looked rather grand as we approached.  As usual, we had a great catch up with everyone.

P1000030P1000027

Lunch time

This café specializes in  fish, and Robin enjoyed battered Chatham Islands Blue Cod – delicious he said.  I chose Seafood Chowder, and told myself, as I was having soup, I really deserved a pieced of cake too!  How’s that for a weak excuse!  But the tiramisu in the cabinet was saying “choose me”  so I just had to, didn't I?  The very first time I had eaten this dessert was on our 2008 USA coach tour from New York to Niagara Falls and back, and we stopped off for an evening meal at Washington DC, where tiramisu was on the menu.  So I just had to try it, and it was as delicious as I had imagined.  Another memory from that dinner was when one of the waiters told us that the helicopter flying overhead was the presidential one, carrying President Obama.  How about that!

P1000026

My delicious lunch

After we said our goodbyes to our friends, we drove down to the beach, to see what we could see.  This group of red billed gulls weren't at all concerned when we drove our car onto the sand and stayed in their little chatty group. 

P1000031

Red billed gulls on the beach

Kapiti Island is not too far offshore and groups can take day trips over to this island.  In former times it was a whaling station, and visitors can see the large whale pots which used to render down blubber.    These days it is one of New Zealand's oldest and most important predator free nature reserves, and is full of beautiful native bird life.  Access to the island is limited, and visitors must go with the certified trip providers only.

P1000033

Kapiti Island

Our next lunch was with two friends, Shirley and Robyn, the three of us take turns hosting lunches every few months.  Shirley had recently had a health scare so to save her any pressure we drove down to take her out to one of her favourite local cafes.  We were pleased to see that Shirley was getting her mobility back, and we had a lovely lunch indeed, but I forgot to take photos.  After lunch we were invited back to Shirley’s home for coffee and cake, and Shirley showed us one of the donation quilts she is planning to make.   It seems a lovely pattern using strips of shaded colours, I may have to borrow the idea for myself..

P1000038

Winter has arrived in New Zealand at the beginning of the month while I wasn't looking, no wonder the weather has turned so wet and cold.  Just as well I've got my sewing and knitting to keep me occupied at home.  I don't know about you, but I always have plenty of projects to work on.  Happy stitching.

6 comments:

Julierose said...

Lovely outings you've had///That seafood chowder and dessert look great!! How could you miss that tiramisu? ;))) I know I wouldn't have! :)))
Hope you're enjoying working on your projects and staying nice and warm there...
hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

we always have too many projects in the making don't we - it is nice you have so many friends to go have lunch with - and walking on the beach that is always fun to do to

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Bravo for making things for Foster Hope.I know the children appreciate all you donate. I’ve never eaten tiramisu, but it looks delicious.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

I too have lots of projects to keep me busy regardless of the weather--it's a life style!!!
Your outings sound so nice and the food looked yummy--
take care--hugs, di

Maria said...

Fabulous bag of donations to drop of at Foster Hope…
Lovely to enjoyed your lunch outings.
Yes that is a great pattern in Shirley’s quilt.
Would be a good RSC one.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

I am sure the foster children find joy and comfort in each item that is donated .It is such a blessing that you are able to donate. It sounds like you have certainly had some grand outings. Your lunch looked amazing. I have never had tiramisu but would love to try it someday. Have a fabulous weekend. Stay warm and cozy, Jenny.