Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, June 11, 2022

Blue Scotty Dogs and String Blocks

More blue sewing has been happening this week, as I've been working on my Rainbow scrap Challenge projects.  Two blue scotty dogs were tackled first, luckily I had some blue plaid fabric tucked away.  I traced, cut and fused them one day, left them on the sewing machine till the next day when I stitched around them and added the black strips.  There, all done.

P1000052

Two blue scotty dogs

P1000053

They wanted to meet some of the other dogs and have a play, they said. 

Then I stitched two blue string blocks, a 12in and a 9in block.  I like to sew string blocks onto a base of fabric, and I’m using up the last of an old thin sheet, which works well.  As I sew each strip onto the base, press and repeat, the blocks soon take shape, looking rather messy.  I’m always amazed at how much better they look once I’ve trimmed off all those overhanging ends. 

P1000063

Two dark blue string blocks

The weather remains very rough and wild here.  We had multiple bouts of thunder and lightening during the night which upset Gemma no end.  I woke to hear her scratching at the wardrobe doors, desperate to get inside and hide, so of course I had to get up out of bed and open the door for her.  That’s where she spent the night while the thunder was rumbling and crashing overhead.  Today is no better, with plenty of surface flooding in our home town, I’m pleased I was staying home, nice and cozy inside.  The wintry sun is almost setting, all that wind has stripped most of the leaves from the tree in our front yard. Let’s hope we have a quieter night tonight, and that the thunder has moved away. 

P1000071

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

This Scottie dogs get along just fine! So cute! Hope your weather improves soon. Gail at the Cozy Quilter

Kathy S. said...

The Scotty Dog blocks are adorable! Glad the blue dogs got to play with their friends. Have a great weekend.

loulee said...

Your Scotty dog quilt is going to be so much fun... How is your back sitting at the machine these days? I know you were limiting your time.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the scotty dogs are cute. I have heard of a lot of pets that try to hide under a bed or under a blanket in a storm, some are more afraid than others.

Julierose said...

Wow wild weather there!!
Your little Scotties are so cute--nice work on those and the string blocks, too..
Hope you have clearing skies soon hugs, Julierose

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Adorable collection of Scotty dog blocks!

Sherrie said...

Hi,
Your Scottie Dogs are so darn cute! I really
like the blue string blocks. Have a great day!

Ivani said...

The scotty dogs blocks are so cute and I love the blue string blocks.
The weather is very crazy here.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those Scotties just get cuter and cuter as you add more colors! I like the way you're setting them, too, with the black sashing alternating. I don't blame for wanting to hide in the closet! Hope your storms settle down.

ButterZ said...

Oh Jenny those Scottie’s are very cute. I liked the way you alternated the blocks.
I always love seeing your socks. I may have to challenge myself to making some.. Are these a thicker yarn than most socks. I think I get put off with such small needles.

Maria said...

Your Scottie dogs will be the cutest quilt….
Hope your wild weather settles soon.

Jackie said...

I think the blue blocks are my favourite so far.

God bless.

Janice said...

Your Scotty dogs look great, all together. Gemma wasn’t silly. It sounds like it was definitely a night to hide away from.

Preeti said...

It may be cold and rainy outside but your studio is a warm and cozy place full of joy and beauty and cute puppies. Have a great week!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Those are adorable, fun!!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

When the storm rages it is the perfect excuse to sew. Clearly you don't need an excuse though. Your Scottie collection is coming along beautifully.