Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Sew Wots Christmas Lunch

It was time to meet up for our Sew Wots Christmas Lunch, enjoy a meal together and swap our hand made pincushions.  Unfortunately, I would be a little late as I had a hospital appointment to attend, and you certainly can’t turn those down, can you.  I must tell you about the unexpected compliment I received as I entered the Medical Centre.  There was an elderly gent sitting outside, waiting for a ride perhaps.  As I walked towards the door he called  – “Don’t you look lovely dressed in blue”, he said.  Oh, so sweet, his comment really made my day!

With my appointment over, I drove to the café for lunch, not too far away, luckily. The others had already eaten, as I had told them not to wait for me, as I wasn’t sure how long I would be.  My lunch order was Eggs Benedict with smoked salmon, and we chatted as I ate my late lunch.

P1320389
Jenny, Helen, Mary, Moira, Heather and Carol

All the gifts were place in a basket at the end of the table.  The instructions were to make our pincushion out of recycled items, so that was a bit of a challenge.  We had already drawn a name out so we knew who we were making the pincushion for.

P1320386
Basket full of gifts

And here they all are, quite different and all lovely.  Helen made my pincushion from a pocket from her old jeans, and Mary made Moira a very elegant velvet chair pincushion.  Heather stitched Carol two pincushions, a sweet little chicken sitting on a crazy patch cushion, and I made Heather a tiny little owl, remembering that she really doesn’t like pins stuck into pincushions in the shape of animals.  Moira’s gift to Helen was a pincushion on top of a cute little watering can, and Carol’s pincushion for Mary was made from a recycled black bra!

P1320390
Such a variety of pincushions

Heather had been busy in the evenings, she told us, and presented us each with a cute little elf.  The story was that she kept making them until she had used up her ball of green wool, and made about a dozen.  And here’s a close up photo of my very special pincushion.  Helen tucked a note inside, writing that the stuffing came from an old cushion, the tape was a birthday present, the tiny doily was made by Helen’s Mum some years ago, the embellishments came from her collection, and the two old buttons were from her button jar.  And tucked inside were a packet of needles, tape measure and pins from an Op Shop.  Truly all recycled, thanks so much Helen, I love it !

P1320399P1320397
Hello, little elf, and my Jeans Pocket pincushion

That’s the end of our Sew Wot get togethers for 2019, it’s been a great year sharing stitching time with this group of lovely ladies.  And we will all be raring to go again in February, after we have all enjoyed a Christmas break.

9 comments:

Michelle Ridgway said...

What a lovely time you had....the pin cushions are great and so clever. Everyone definitely met the challenge x

Janice said...

What a great idea for a Christmas swap. Something little, but still a bit challenging. The elves are also rather cute. The lunch was a nice way to cap off a lovely year.

Julierose said...

What a wonderful group of sewing gals ...love those pincushions--so creative..hugs, Julierose

Maria said...

Nice you could still go to your Sew Wot Christmas lunch with your lovely friends.
A fantastic variety of recycled pincushions and the Elf is very cute....

Tired Teacher said...

Love all the lovely pincushions. The pocket is clever and will be a nice addition to your travel sewing bag.

Judith nb Serena said...

What an inventive group of ladies you all are. Wonderful stitching. Seems a long time to February for your next sew and tell I'm sure you'll all find plenty to stitch in the meantime. Judith nb Serena

ButterZ said...

All the pin cushions look great using recycled stuff.. Glad you had a great luncheon.

June's Jottings said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time with your Sew Wot friends Jenny, and I love the idea of making each other a 'recycled' pin cushion. Have a wonderful weekend my friend.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Lovely photo of you slow stitching outside, Jenny. I think it would have been your lovely smile that garnered that compliment. Wonderful to see those ladies and their ingenuity in stitching pin cushions. What fun!