Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Thursday, December 7, 2017

Packing my Stitching Bag

Exciting news – we are away on a 10 week caravan holiday touring around the South Island!  You know what that means -  no rolling the dice, no sitting at my sewing machine, it will be hand stitching only. How much hand stitching I will actually do is debatable – as we will be travelling high roads and low roads, stopping to explore, and generally having a good look around.  But it’s good to be prepared for those times I’ll be relaxing with a little time on my hands and feeling the need to stitch.

So what have I got to take away?  I’ve traced out nine blocks of stylized New Zealand trees and flowers, designed by Jenny Hunter, onto the pale green fabric I’m using for the background.

P1090183

Then I’ve got some hand quilting packed as well.  Remember this?  It’s my Winter Quilt Festival panel, and I plan to quilt around the snow people and quilts.

P1040257
Ready for hand quilting

And then of course I’ve got my two small native birds blocks to quilt.  When completed, these will be hung in the caravan.

P1080215P1090138

So that should keep me busy, and I’m sure I won’t get through that little lot.  Our journey starts on  Sunday, and there is just time for another social get-together or two before we head off on our adventure.

10 comments:

Nancy J said...

Happy travels. We are going south in late February and I hope it is a whole lot cooler than what we have now. Enjoy that stitching, and I am sure there will be quilty shops to find along the way.

Janice said...

Thant little lot should keep you going while you are away. Have a wonderful time.

Tired Teacher said...

It sounds exciting! Safe travels.

Julierose said...

I hope your travels are enjoyable and stay safe on your journey...I like that snowman panel and your idea to just stitch around should be easy and fun...hugs, Julierose

crazyquilter said...

Ten weeks on the road - wow, that is quite a commitment, but I guess you two are well used to planning for event like this.
I am looking forward to posts of your travels and to see pictures of places you visit.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Have a wonderful time you two....nice to have hand work for on the road....Merry Christmas Jenny xxx

Maria said...

Have the best time and maybe our will have time for a little stitching.....
Wishing you both a fabulous Christmas 🎄
And a Happy Healthy 2018.....

Karen S said...

Ten weeks sounds like bliss. So much to see and do in the part of NZ. And you look very organized with your stitching. Of course you will find a few new things along the way!

Raewyn said...

Have a fabulous trip - Christmas on the road should be fun! You've packed a nice variety of projects. Merry Christmas!!

Allison said...

Sounds like you are prepared for those creative moments one craves when away from their machine. Enjoy