Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Monday, February 29, 2016

Rolling the Dice

With the weekend spent away in the caravan at Lutz farm in Otaki, I didn’t have the chance sit at my sewing machine and work away on my Amanda Jean apron.  But we had a fun filled country weekend, and if you would like to see what we got up to, check out our other blog here.  And, believe it or not -  yours truly won the milking contest, not too bad for a girl from suburbia!

A new week, and another roll of the dice.  This time the dice fell on number 5, which is a new project I’m starting for my grand-daughter Emma.  She loves horses, and requested a black and grey quilt.  That’s a bit dull, I thought, so I’m sneaking in some of a pretty red/blue batik  in too, for contrast.  I’ve been gathering blacks and greys for a while now, so it’s a good time to start.  There will be horses involved in this quilt, but not till I’m much further along with the blocks.

At the moment I will concentrate on making 9 patch units, and cut lots of strips to to make a start.  Although I have quite a lot of plain black, I decided to use that just as the centre square of the 9 patch, and purchased lots of black fabrics with patterns,  for variety.

P2290042
Strips cut and ready to sew

And after a couple of hours spent stitching strips together, pressing, then slicing, this is what I’ve got to show.  Next step will be pinning some of those 9 patch blocks together so they will be ready for my next session at the sewing machine. 

P2290044
On the cutting board

1 comment:

Nancy J said...

I do like those fabrics, and subtle contrast. Lots cooler up here tonight.