Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Monday, December 29, 2014

Camping at Foxton Beach

We are still at Foxton Beach, but are now camping at the Manawatu Caravan Club grounds, hooked up to a power site.  Don’t think I’ll need the power to warm up my electric blanket at the moment, but it is certainly handy to keep the batteries topped up on the lap-tops and cell phones.

The heavy winter caravan quilt with wool batting has been washed and packed away for summer.  Gracing our caravan bed now is my “Twin Fabrics Sampler Quilt”, completed back in 2005.  This was a challenge set by my previous quilt club, Pinestream Quilters, and each month we were given a block pattern.  The idea was to use the same two fabrics in each block, two black florals in my case, and any others used were not to be repeated.  This quilt was hand quilted, with most of the stitching being done when we were away in the caravan.

PC290023 On the caravan bed

Of course we have some Christmas decorations on show to make the caravan look festive.  We each have our very own Rudolf Reindeer stocking hanging from our bedside light fitting.  Robin is most unkind and often says that this pair of knock kneed reindeer keep him awake at night with their knees knocking together.  Fancy saying that – after all my hard work making us a matching pair! 

PC290021Rudolf the knock kneed reindeer

My cheery red-work Santa welcomes visitors inside the caravan, and there is an assortment of small Santa ornaments displayed on the pelmet above the door.

PC290026 Welcome inside

Like most others, I suspect, we are diligently munching our way through the Christmas Ham, Christmas Cake, Christmas Mince Pies, and lots of chocolate.  It’s a hard job being on holiday, I can tell you.  But I’m in my element with an on-site laundry room.  Anyone who knows me knows that I just can’t go past a washing machine.  We’ve only been here three days and I’ve already done two loads of washing!  I just can’t help myself, and as I often say, “Happiness is clean Laundry”.

PC270011 Another load of laundry

Thee camp is well looked after by the Manager Neill, who rides around the camp on his bike going about his duties.  He’s a nice friendly young man, and a bit of a “cool dude”.  All the ladies love chatting to him, and he is a blokes bloke as well, going hunting, fishing and playing golf in his spare time.

PC280017 Cool dude Manager Neill

There hasn’t been much time to sit and stitch, as we have been rushing here and there as we have been making arrangements for Robin’s Mum’s funeral.  Everything is finally done and the family gather together tomorrow to farewell their beloved Mum.

No comments: