Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, November 11, 2023

RSC - A finished Top

Finally, a finished top for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  These  batik cobblestone blocks were started in January 2021.  Originally I had planned another project,  only that it  didn't go ahead, so I started making Cobblestone blocks each month instead.  They had been tucked away for a while, and after I found them again last month, made some more blocks to give me the required number for a large quilt.

I had shown these blocks to my daughter and grand-daughters earlier but they all declared they didn't care for them.  Never mind, I was originally making it for myself, so I’ll keep it. 

P1040209-640x480

The final cobblestone blocks.

Laying the blocks out on our bed, I arranged and rearranged them, until I was happy.  But are you ever happy?  I’m sure I could have spent a lot more time moving this one and that one.  Since I’ve discovered webbing, and I was very late in discovering this method, it is  so much easier to assemble the blocks.

With lots of batik bits and pieces of fabric hanging about, I sliced and diced and made some scrappy binding.  Making binding is always a good thing to do at this stage, I find.  Put away in my binding basket, I know it’s done, and where to find it.

P1040702

Scrappy binding all made

The colours in this quilt is quite different from what I usually choose for myself, featuring teal blue, purple, various shades of cream, dark blue, a little green  and pink.  But batiks, in my mind, all seem to go together nicely.   I’m sure that most of these fabrics were purchased from Milton, of Wright’s Fabrics, Morrinsville.

P1040707

Beautiful batiks

This bed quilt is much too large for me to deal with , so Ill be taking it to my commercial quilter Deborah soon, for her to work her magic on it. 

18 comments:

Helenchaffin said...

beautiful color combinations,I just learned about webbing about a month ago 😄 Im thinking I will be doing all my quilts this way ,when I'm ready to sew the tops together,I know where all my blocks are😄

Julierose said...

This turned out beautifully-I love those soft colors throughout...
Hugs, Julieorse

The Cozy Quilter said...

Jenny…what a lovely quilt top! I think the scrappy binding will be perfect for it! I love your colour scheme too.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

such lovely colors. Looking forward to seeing it quilted

Jenn Jilks said...

That is just beautiful!

Funny, I'm doing calendars for my family. My 2nd eldest grandie doesn't want one as it doesn't match her decor! I laughed after I got upset... It's a family tradition.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Lovely quilt top, your colors are beautiful!

The Joyful Quilter said...

How on Earth could your girls not LOVE this gorgeous quilt top, Jenny?!?! It is going to be a magnificent quilt once the longarmer works her magic and you use up that lovely scrappy binding!!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

What a beautiful quilt, Jenny!!! I love the watercolor look and colors!!! Yay for another RSC finish!!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's a beautiful quilt, Jenny! I think those colors are lovely together - very soothing. Glad you have a quilter all set to quilt it for you!

Mari said...

I love it Jenny! Such wonderful colors, and it's sure to keep you nice and cozy. I would also struggle with a quilt that big-- hurray for those long arm quilters!

Jackie said...

I love the colours in that quilt. It is beautiful.

God bless.

nestki said...

You are going to love sleeping under this quilt. The beautiful colors are easy on the eyes. Maybe this quilt will help you sleep very well!

loulee said...

Beautiful quilt top Jenny.

Barwitzki said...

Gorgeous colors, you did a great job sewing the blanket. I know how to rearrange the individual parts again and again :-)))
I'm excited to see how your quilter will work on it...
Happy Sunday to you and greetings from Viola

Maria said...

Gorgeous finish and I love scrappy bindings…

Sarah said...

I think you are right, all batiks seem to sit well together. I love the colours you chose. Not sure I know what webbing is though?

Raewyn said...

I love the colours in your quilt Jenny, and the scrappy binding will be the perfect finishing touch.

Sara said...

These blocks look so calming in those colors. Great choices. I have a box of similar blocks made with black and white frames around lots of colors. This reminds me that I have no idea how many there are. Maybe I have enough for a quilt. LOL