Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Pink and Purple Unicorns

I have another finish to show, and no, I haven't whipped this up after returning home last week from our Anniversary trip.  This was completed a week or so earlier.  It all started with a unicorn panel looking for a new home  from Sew Wot buddy Helen’s stash.  Gemma thought those unicorns were well worth checking out.

P1020628P1020627

Unicorn panel

So I cut the panels apart, sashed them with different fabrics from my stash, assembled the blocks and added a purple border.  Then one sunny day I pinned the three layers together on the patio table outside.

P1030854

Next step, all pinned up

There the project stayed for a while, all folded up in the sewing room.  Finally, I decided, just get this project quilted, using my favourite serpentine stitch.

P1040048

Quilting time

After each quilting session, Gemma liked to cuddle up on the WIP and keep it safe for me.

P1040051

Keeping it safe

With the quilting finished, I enjoyed sitting and hand stitching the binding down, always my favourite part of the process.  And here it is at last, all finished.  I’m very pleased how it turned out and it will probably be a donation quilt, I’m sure a young girl will love it.  But perhaps I’ll just keep it to enjoy for a while before passing it on.

P1040724

Dream like a Unicorn

14 comments:

Helenchaffin said...

That is such a pretty quilt & sure to bring sweet dreams!💜

Raewyn said...

Such a sweet panel and I like what you have done with it - Gemma clearly approves of it too!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Gemma is a very willing and helpful assistant in your sewing room. Great use of the unicorn panel! A little girl will love this quilt.

Julierose said...

Just a lovely finish, Jenny;))) Love that lavender border--it's the perfect color...
hugs, Julierose

Jo said...

Very pretty colours and a lovely quilt

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

have fun quilting! such a pretty kitty

Tired Teacher 2 said...

The fabrics you added make the individual panel squares “Pop.” I love the finished quilt.

Jackie said...

Very pretty. Well done in using up the panels.

God bless.

Jenn Jilks said...

They are such amazing projects! Good work.

Maria said...

It’s always such fun to cut up a pretty panel and make a lovely quilt.
I also love the serpentine stitch which I’m always happy you told me how to do it.💖

FlourishingPalms said...

How nice that you made such good use of Helen's stashed panel. Such a nice and easy make, and rewarding too. Enjoy it, as you should!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I am caught up now on your anniversary trip happenings...what a wonderful time and I'm glad to hear Robin's knee was well too. Very interesting places you visited and I know what you mean about not being able to find certain buildings. Things get modernized or demolished with new in their places. Anyway, good luck with finishing off your sweater and didn't this panel turn into a lovely quilt! Well done.

loulee said...

Clearly your work meets Gemma approval.

Sarah said...

What a cute finish and all with help from Gemma!