Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, April 2, 2022

Pink Butterflies and a Finish

The Rainbow Scrap Challenge colour for April is pink.  So I’ve been stitching up a “kaleidoscope” of butterflies – I kid you not, this is one of the names for a group of butterflies.  Another name is a “flutter”, easy to see why they are called this name too.  First up was my four patch blocks with a centre cross, using up several small strips of multi coloured butterflies on white backgrounds.  In fact, I’ve used the very last piece of one of the strips, and had to piece the last remaining scraps together to make the 4 inch squares needed. Then I made two Puss in the Corner blocks for my second butterfly RSC project.

P1030873

Pink butterflies

It’s always nice to have a finish – I stitched the RSC blocks last year and this had been waiting in the wings a while with just the borders needing quilting, and the binding to be applied.  It's finally finished, and I enjoyed stitching  the binding down on my boat quilt outside in the warm Autumn sunshine.  For the first time I used some of those clips on the binding (what are they called?) instead of pins. 

P1030840

Stitching the binding down

My daughter gave me this cute little box some time ago, so I’m pleased to find a use for it, to safely store my fancy new clips in it. 

P1030841P1030842

My pretty box of clips

And the finished boat quilt – I’m really pleased how it turned out.  The boats were my own design, using 2 1/2inch strips, and as it evolved I added some South Sea islands, whale tails and dolphins.  This will be donated to Foster Hope, a charily which looks after children taken into foster care.

P1030846

Boat quilt for a boy

The backing fabric came from the big box of fabric I received when my neighbour Dorothy went into a rest home.  It is a piece of curtain fabric, I think.  The island theme on this fabric works in quite well with the boats on the front, I feel.

P1030845

And the back

17 comments:

Lyndsey said...

I love your boat quilt, it's a great design. The whale tails made me laugh and the islands turn it into a story, where did the boats sail from and where are they sailing to.

ButterZ said...

I do love your little boat quilt. You have done a great job

Kim said...

Oh, I love the sound of a kaleidoscope of butterflies. The charity quilt is such a fun quilt. Those boats are a clever idea sailing alongside the whale tails and dolphins; and as for the backing, how perfect it is!

Julierose said...

What beautiful finish on your Boat quilt--i just love it!! Nice work designing and sewing this one...hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

cute boat quilt and I love little boxes to keep things in!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Imagine the dreams and stories the boat quilt will trigger! The quilt will make a child very happy. I prefer using the clips for binding - so quick to position and move.

The Joyful Quilter said...

PINK progress AND an RSC quilt finish? Way to go, Jenny!! I think you found the perfect backing for the quilt. Kudos for remembering to search the box of gifted fabrics!

Maria said...

Pretty pink butterfly blocks.
Your boys Boat quilt is gorgeous and great backing.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your boat quilt turned out wonderfully, Jenny! And that is really the perfect backing, too!

Jackie said...

Really like the boat quilt and the backing is awesome. I have been looking for those type of clips and haven't been able to find them in a physical store. I may have to check online.

God bless.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Hurray for the boat quilt! It is truly original and wonderful, and will brighten some boy's life. Excellent finish!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Such pretty pink blocks and love your boat quilt, Jenny and the backing is lovely as well. Have a wonderful weekend,Jenny

Jill said...

Pretty in pink. It’s special to have a custom-made boat theme quilt. I peaked over at RomanyRambler. How nice to celebrate a special bday with your sister. That is something about the canal bridge! What fun it must have been for a ride in the boat.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

That is a good amount of fabric out, are you playing Stashbusters?

The Cozy Quilter said...

Cute boat quilt! Some will love it! Nice to have a box for your clove4 clips!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Such lovely boats and islands quilt and some child will adore it, I have no doubt. How did you find the clips? Did they work as well as pins? I have a few of the tiny ones. I spent Tuesday outside, lovely and warm here so I did some tidy up. Pouring rain today so the last bits of snow will be gone. Spring is springing!

Karen S said...

Great to see your blocks done, and so good to see the boat quilt ready to go. It looks wonderful.