Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, November 6, 2021

RSC Stitching and our Anniversary

After a little “time out” for the boat quilt which was misbehaving while I was trying to machine quilt it, I decided to go with Plan B.  Instead of wavy lines across the quilt which resulted in puckers, I’m using the Serpentine stitch instead across the seams of the boats.  And smoothing the quilt out before pinning each quilting line to death.  Sure, its slow work, but the quilt is behaving itself this time.

P1020866

Machine quilting the boats

I’d almost forgotten about another Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilt I’m doing, my batik cobblestones.  Out of sight, out of mind, I guess.  Not sure when I last made some blocks for this project.  But I recovered  my bag of batiks from the cupboard to look at what I had tucked away, and I’ll be slicing up some strips for more blocks – there is still plenty of fabric left.

P1020867

P1020868

And these are the ones I’d prepared earlier – as they say on TV.

Yesterday was our Wedding Anniversary, our 38th.  Not too bad going as we are both “second timers” and still going strong.  We enjoyed a meal out at a local restaurant with friends Dot and Derek, and received a lovely hand made card from them.  To those who are aware of the date, we were married on Guy Fawkes Night all those years ago.

P1020865

Our 38th Aniversary

21 comments:

Kathy S. said...

Happy anniversary!

Glad you had a plan B for the boat quilt. Woohoo on having plenty of batiks left. You have been productive this week AND had some fun! Have a great weekend.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Happy Anniversary - for 2nd timers 38 years is a good long time - I can't believe we will be 50 next year

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Cats seem to be a wonderful motif for quilts, Jenny. Always so cute. Meanwhile, I'm happy you've sorted your quilting to your satisfaction. It is a big job and the one I dislike. Happy Anniversary you love birds. My sister was born on Guy Fawkes night which is still celebrated in my home province, Newfoundland.

Ivani said...

Happy Aniversary!!!
I like to use the serpentine stitch for quilting.
Your coblestone blocks are very pretty with beautiful batiks.
Have a wonderful weekend, Jenny.

Julierose said...

HAPPIEST ANNIVERSARY TO YOU BOTH!! :)))
I have trouble working on more than one--or two sewing projects--I get stressed--so one project at a time for me this coming year--and mostly finishing those I have begun and "forgotten" about when I've hit a problem!! :000
[Eeney meeney my-ney Mo time hahaha]
Hugs, Julierose

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Glad your quilting is going better! I love that serpentine stitch for quilting - it gives you some nice curves. Happy Anniversary!

Deb A said...

Happy Anniversary (a few days late!). Love the cobblestone blocks. Glad the ships quilt decided to behave for you.

Sara said...

Happy anniversary!! I'm glad you have "tamed" that boat quilt so that you can finish the quilting on it.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Happy anniversary, Jenny! Glad that you found a workaround for your quilting woes. Congrats on getting some RSC catch-up work done, too!

Lyndsey said...

Happy anniversary. A great day to get married on. Hopefully there were lots of fireworks to make it go with a bang. In these modern times 38 years is a great achievement. Here's to celebrating 40 years in 2023. We married the same year as you but in July.

Cathy said...

First, congrats on your 38th anniversary! I’m glad to see those lovely batik blocks again and pleased to know the quilting is going well on the boat quilt. It will be a finish before you know it!

Nancy J said...

Crackers, sky rockets, and a wonderful milestone anniversary. Congratulations.Those pale batiks are lovely, hope the next stitching will go better with no puckers.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Happy Anniversary to you and Robin! Happy to see you came up with a Plan B for quilting the boat quilt and that it is behaving itself.

Jackie said...

Happy Anniversary.

I love those batik blocks and glad that the quilting is behaving itself now.

God bless.

Janice said...

Happy Anniversary. I’m pleased your boat quilt is now playing nicely. The serpentine stitch suits it well, too.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Happy Anniversary! Love that card, so pretty. Your next batik project is going to be gorgeous with those prints.

grammajudyb said...

I’m glad the boat quilt is behaving now! Sometimes a time out is all it takes! Happy Anniversary to you both!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

A very happy anniversary to you and your hubby! Good luck with the boat quilt, sometimes they just need a very firm hand. And lots of pins!

Karen S said...

I am very pleased that your quilt is going well now. Good to see it behaving.
Congrats on the anniversary, too.

Raewyn said...

Congratulations on your wedding anniversary!

FlourishingPalms said...

I'm glad you were able to get your boats quilt re-sandwiched and smoothed-out. It can be a challenge to get three layers to be smooth, all at the same time! It's great that you persevered. For being on your second go-'round, you indeed have been successful! Congratulations on 38 years. I can attest that being married has its challenges.