Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, September 4, 2021

Taking a guess on Orange

I’m not sure what the chosen RSC colour for September will be, so I’ve taken a guess on orange.  Our RSC hostess Angela is understandably preoccupied at the moment with Covid raging in her school and community, and much too close to home for comfort.  We are all thinking of you Angela, get back to us when you can.

For my orange stitching this week I made three little orange birds, then sat and stitched their eyes and little stick legs on.  And I also started on some of the alternate blocks, using the different coloured scraps left from making the birds.  They look good together, I think.

P1020582

Birds and nine patch blocks

Three little orange boats will be sailing on the high seas with the rest of their colourful fleet.  These boat blocks are my own idea and so simple to whip up from 2.5in strips.  I really need to have a count up and see if I have sufficient to make a boys quilt, or if I need to make a few more.

P1020581

Three orange boats

So that’s my orange Rainbow Scrap Challenge sewing for the week.  I’m still taking it easy sitting at the sewing machine so I don’t stress my back, but things are certainly getting a little easier now, thank goodness.  I now allow myself to sit and stitch at the machine for 30 minutes at a time, then get up to stretch and move around, a big improvement on my previous 10 minutes at a time. 

17 comments:

ButterZ said...

Jenny, that is great progress for you. And a beautiful lovely cheerful colour orange to work with.

Janice said...

It's pleasing that you can now spend more time sitting at your machine. You must be starting to feel a bit more like your old self. The blocks you have made this time are nice and bright.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Those little birds are cute. Glad you are doing better.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I was thinking of doing orange as well - and will wait until Monday to see and then if it hasn't been announced that is what I will do too

FlourishingPalms said...

Orange... oh, I hope you're right about it being the September color. I adore orange! The brighter the better. Your little boats are such a cute design. It's heartening to hear that you're able to sit at the machine for a little longer. No doubt you set a timer to remind yourself to move. We should all do that, back ache or not! I know I tend to sit overlong, and then find myself getting up stiffly... like I'm old or something! Ha, ha. Keep makin' and havin' fun!

Julierose said...

Oh so good to hear about your improvement...really great news!!
Your orange pieces are so cute...hugs, Julierose

Ivani said...

I also bet as orange for September, Jenny!
Your blocks are so cute,love the boats.

Sara said...

Adorable little birds! I was hoping for orange this month as I had pulled out some fall fabrics, and there was plenty of orange in that group.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love your birds with the alternate 9 patches! Glad you are more comfortable sitting at the machine these days, too!

Lyndsey said...

The bird blocks are so cute and I love the boats. It's good to hear you are comfortable working at your machine for 30 minutes. I think this is a very realistic figure and I'm trying to stick to it. If I work any longer at the machine and I get a sore back, tired arms if quilting and generally feel stiff.

Deb A said...

You guessed correct with orange and love those birdies! So glad to hear you are improving and up to 30 minutes sitting at the machine is great! Happy stitching and stretching.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Darling ORANGE birds and boats, Jenny!

loulee said...

Your Orange blocks are looking great, and yes, the birds do look good mixed with the nine patches.
Keep looing after that back.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

I'm so glad your back is at least a little better. I've had the same problem, and it is no fun at all. Love your charming birds and boats, they will make wonderful quilts.

Sheri said...

That is pretty darn cute! My friend's chickens have just started laying. Cute gift idea for her!

Karen S said...

Great choice. They are all lovely and colourful.

Susie H said...

Both the bird blocks and the boat blocks are adorable! I was very happy to hear that your back is cooperating and giving you a little more sewing time! Yay!