Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, September 11, 2021

More Orange Sewing

I’ve done a little more Rainbow Scrap sewing in orange this week, working on my four patch blocks.There’s not a great deal of orange in my stash, but I found enough to make these.  The idea for the larger blocks was borrowed from Academic Quilter’s blog.  The smaller blocks are simple framed four patches, and both these blocks will eventually find themselves in donation quilts.

P1020599

Orange four patch blocks

Call me crazy, but I’ve decided to start another RSC project.  There is a reason behind this statement, of course.  I seem to have an awful lot of strips and strings in a couple of big bags, which I want to pare down and dispose of.  Quite truthfully, I really don’t like working with strips less than 2.5in wide, and there are plenty of narrower strips in these two bags.  I found enough orangey coloured strips to make a string pieced block, so that’s a start, and I’ll do the other colours as they get their turn.

P1020598

Orange string block

Seems I’ve accumulated a whole heap of white and cream strips of various width too, all offcuts from various projects over the years.  So I’ve decided to make some neutral string blocks with these – they could come in handy for something or other.  I really want to just get rid of another bag or two of “stuff”.  Or maybe I’ll just shove it all it the bin when I  get sick and tired of looking at them!

In Covid news, most of New Zealand is now in Level 2, except Auckland, which still has Covid cases popping up each day so remains in Level 4.  We can get out and about during Level 2, so caravanning here we come!  Scanning the QR codes on entering business is now mandatory, as is wearing masks when going into shops, malls, and the like.  Libraries are now open, and we can go out for lunch, dinner or just a coffee too.  And no, we don't have to try and eat with out masks on,  although there are rules about spaced out seating and table service.  So things are moving along well here.

P1020595

Down to Level 2

The weather has been all over the place this last week, freezing cold days with heavy rain so we were quite happy to stay home and hibernate.  Then today the sun has come out and it’s starting to warm up again, a rather pleasant Spring day.  We even had a sprinkling of snow on the Tararua Ranges behind our village the other day, which always looks pretty.

P1020594

Snow on the Ranges

21 comments:

ButterZ said...

Orange is a lovely colour.Those string blocks go a long way. Let’s hope NZ gets on top of the COVID cases soon so you can enjoy more caravanning

Maria said...

Your Oranges will be make into lovely donation quilts when added to all the other RSC blocks…
We’ve had weird weather here too.
Pleased your lockdown level has come down so you can get out and about again…

Marly said...

Lovely orange blocks Jenny. All those bags of scraps - where do they come from? I've been working small this week too - sewing crumbs - and have almost reached the bottom of the orange bag.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

String blocks are a great way to use up those narrower pieces! I like your other orange blocks, too. So glad you can get out in your caravan again, Jenny! Enjoy!

Mari said...

Love the string blocks idea! They're so easy and fun to make, and they turn into great quilts. Fingers crossed that we're all out of this Covid mess really soon. Have fun caravanning!

Nancy J said...

We might stay in Level 2 for a while, and I'm sure that the Aucklanders will be in Level 4 for a longer time, some odd cases popping up, Love the snow on the Tararuas, no wonder we had that cold wind up here.Your orange strips look great, do you have a muslin or cotton backing?

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

snow on the ranges looks good as do your orange stripe blocks - I might have to copy you on that I have a ton of strips boxed up that need to be used! are you sewing them on paper? Pleased your country is still doing so much better than others

Ivani said...

Your orange blocks are looking good, Jenny. Love the String block, I am doing 6,5 blocks with narrow strips, it is a great way to take advantage of the narrow strips that would normally be thrown away and do something unique with them. So glad to know you are under level 2, and you will be able to go caravaning, YES!!!
Take care and happy weekend.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Enjoy your caravan outing and the beautiful scenery — safe travels.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Good looking orange blocks!

Cathy said...

Lovely orange blocks, Jenny! I’ve done lots of four-patches on and off this year so I decided to make framed 4P’s one of my new RSC projects. String blocks are naturals to make when we accumulate so many strings (whether we want to or not!).

New Zealand always does such an admirable job of managing the pandemic ups and downs. I just wish more of our US citizens would pull together and get vaccinated.

Janice said...

Have fun with your RSC blocks. It must be good to be less restricted in your movements.

Deb A said...

Pretty view you have! You found some great oranges. Enjoy the new string project.

FlourishingPalms said...

I've been blog-hopping, and am loving seeing the orange blocks quilters are making now. Oddly enough, though I'm not participating in the RSC, I just made a piece of fabric from orange scraps, getting ready to cut out patches for a project. I'm glad to hear your COVID situation is improving. Having a few more freedoms is much-needed, I'm sure. Your view of snow on the mountains is lovely. You sure live in a beautiful area.

Susie H said...

You're off & running with your orange blocks. Love the string block as well and, yes, the neutral strings will probably come in handy in one quilt or another. Great job!

Karen S said...

Your orange blocks are looking great. The strings are a great way to go to use up scraps.
Glad you can get out and about. Enjoy.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Such pretty orange blocks you have been working on this week. Those snow covered mountains are stunning. Have a great week and happy quilting.

Jackie said...

Orange is such a bright and cheerful colour. Perfect to work with on dull days. I do like the string block.

God bless.

Preeti said...

Jenny, Looking at snow covered peaks and staying indoors or hibernating sounds absolutely delicious. It has been a hot and horrible summer here in the US and I am so ready for cooler temperatures. I love your orange string block. Skinny strips are tricky but they make lovely string blocks. Academic Quilter/Mari lives about an hour away. I will tell her that you mentioned her in your blog.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Jenny, I saw those camping embroideries somewhere and thought of you. Really nice and of course, so appropriate. Meanwhile lovely blocks and you've got me thinking I should make string blocks. I just don't understand how I have gathered so many scraps as I think I am one who uses every bit up. And it bothers me to have the stuff there sitting in bags. Will yours be a rainbow quilt someday?

Mona said...

What a beautiful place! Love you attitude about the strings, I should learn from you and not stress over some scraps! There is enough to stress about in the world, quilting is only fun!