Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, April 3, 2021

Little Blue Birds

It’s time for some more Rainbow Scrap Challenge stitching organised by Angela of So Scrappy, and the colour this month is blue.  I’ve several monthly RSC projects on the go and so far I’ve stitched my allotted blocks for two of them which will eventually be donation quilts for children.  Firstly I appliqued three little blue birds, then sat and stitched their legs and eyes on.  “Look how skinny those birds legs are”, Robin commented – well, I told him, they are tiny birds so skinny little legs are fine for them. 

P1020170-640x480 

Three little blue birds

P1020171

The little blue birds couldn’t wait to join the rest of the flock

Next I worked on boats for the boy’s quilt, and made four of these.  I also altered the three green palm tree blocks I had stitched last month, and the trees are now standing at the edge of a South Sea Island.

P1020187

Boats and palm trees

Our Birman cat Gemma is rather partial to birds too, and spends a lot of her time looking out the window just in case some birds appear.  When she spots any birds outside on the grass, she makes funny little chirruping noises in excitement!  We leave the venetian blinds lifted up off the carpet so she can peep out unhindered, or relax in the window as the sun streams in.  Cats certainly have a great life, don't they.

P1020174

Any birds out there?

17 comments:

Karen S said...

Lovely work on your blue blocks. The birds are so delightful. And the boat blocks are looking wonderful too.

Julierose said...

Both your birds and your boats and palm trees are just so adorable, Jenny! I love how they are coming together...Gemma is so cute peering out there...
Hugs Julierose

Gretchen Weaver said...

Your bird blocks are really cute! They will make a lovely donation quilt, happy stitching!

Sara said...

Those birds just brought me the biggest smile! They are so adorable!! Now I want to make bird blocks too!! I have a pattern for pieced birds somewhere. Wonder where it is? LOL

scraphappy said...

The fun angles on those birds give them all such great personality. Nice progress so early in the month!

Chantal said...

I'm in love with your little birds. So cute!! Love the idea of adding islands with palm trees to a boat quilt. I did one for my son, a long time ago. I never thought of adding islands. Great job with the blues. Gemma is gorgeous!! Birman cats are so lovely. Enjoy! ;^)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

such cute birds I love them

The Joyful Quilter said...

Wow, Jenny! You really made quick work of your Birds and Boats in BLUE.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love your birds and boats! The birds remind me of the little ones with skinny legs that run along the edge of the shore where the waves go in and out. Gemma is such a pretty cat!

Cathy said...

Your bird blocks are so cute! Although I’m sure Gemma fancies the real birds more! Our cats “chatter” with excitement, too, when they see birds. Probably dreaming up a tasty snack...

Maria said...

The birds look fabulous with all the others...
Lovely boats and palm tree blocks....
Cats have the best life...

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Your flock of tiny birds and the fleet of boats are adorable. They will make fun quilts.

Deb A said...

Those birds are cute with their little legs. I agree, cats have quite the life! I wish I was a cat =)

Maggie said...

Love your funky birds and boats, yes our cat is a bird fanatic. She talks to them and the other day hubby played a bird noise on his phone, she went looking for the bird.

Preeti said...

Such a darling flock of birds...skinny legs and all. And your cat is so cute. It is a good idea to raise the blinds otherwise the cat will damage them with constant pawing. Ask me how I know :-)

grammajudyb said...

Your flock of birds is growing! It will be a fun quilt! I like the altered palm trees with the boats, a boy quilt for sure!

Ivani said...

You made really happy bird blocks also the boats are so cute. Well done Jenny!