Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Friday, April 9, 2021

And this week……

Its been another busy week – I’ve been doing a bit of this, and a bit of that.  I’m sure I've told you that it is Autumn here in my part of paradise, so it was high time to get my little hand stitched Autumn wall-hanging up on the wall.  It’s not new so no doubt you have seen it before.  The bald eagles from Juneau, Alaska,  also got a time out of the cupboard - I had purchased this kit from the local quilt shop in Juneau.  We enjoyed a week or so staying there way back when and we were astounded to see so many eagles around – they are such amazing birds.

P1020200P1020201

A change for Autumn

This season is quite changeable, it can be very mild, or turn rather chilly - every day the temperatures can be different.  I’ve made my first pot of soup for the season, after making some stock from the remains of a chicken carcass cooked in the crock pot.  Then with the additions of veggies and a small handful of split peas and barley, it was a very tasty soup indeed.  I love home made soup for lunch, how about you?

P1020191 

Home made chicken soup

We took a trip to hospital the other day as Robin was due to have a procedure done.  I left him in the capable hands of the medical staff for several hours and took myself off to the hospital café – such a long walk down this corridor and that one, and around several corners.  With my current back problem making walking difficult, I’m pleased I had the walking stick to rely on, I certainly needed the support.  I was soon comfortably settled with a sandwich and coffee, my book, and some stitching, together with the cell phone handy waiting for the call to return and collect Robin after his procedure was complete.  I was stitching away when a man approached me, commenting that his wife does cross stitch too.  My project was a stitchery, but I’m not sure if he knew what I was talking about.  This man was a Health Shuttle driver, as Robin is too, and the shuttle takes patients from our home town up to the Palmerston North Hospital for appointments.  And although they hadn't met he had seen Robin’s name on the roster sheet.  What a small world!

P1020196

Settling down to wait

Today was a nice sunny day and we spent an hour or so outside under the Archgola.  It’s so nice to make the most of these mild Autumn days before the winter weather arrives.   Now daylight saving has finished, the evenings get darker so much earlier – so we settle down to a bit of TV.  Gemma didn’t want to miss out either, she can keep an eye on the pair of us from up there.

P1020192

5 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Sounds like you had a cozy stitch spot at the hospital. Glad Robin's procedure wasn't a serious one. Our spring is like your fall, one day we have temps in the 80's, the next the high is in the 40's. We're still eating soup with homemade bread. Happy stitching!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

hopefully now all your medical procedures are done you can enjoy what is left of autumn in your country? you must be nearing closer and closer to winter. I hope your back is doing better and you will be able to walk without the stick soon

Julierose said...

Hope all went well with robin; nice to have that take along project to work on...
Hugs, julierose

Tired Teacher 2 said...

It’s amazing how stitching, knitting or crocheting draw strangers in waiting areas and parks. Having a project is a good icebreaker for conversations. I eat soup in any season, but especially in autumn and winter. Your soup sounds like it was delicious.

Jackie said...

Hope all procedures are done and everything went well. I usually take a book to read while waiting. Perhaps some knitting next time.

The bald eagles in the lower US are mostly imported from Canada (Manitoba and Saskatchewan) as they were hunted almost into extinction. I wonder if it is the same in Alaska?

God bless.