Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Gemma, Phillip and Me

It’s hard to believe that our little Gemma turned three over the weekend.  No, we didn’t bake a cake, but she had her favourite “Jimbos” meat for dinner that night.

P1020218

Birman cats are very playful, and she has been spending time with her “knitting”  a length of leftover yarn from a project.  She carries it around in her mouth, lays on her back and attacks with her feet, having a fine old time.

P1020225

Gemma with her knitting yarn

I’ve just finished making her a belated birthday gift, aa little grey mouse.  This is obviously related to “The Three Blind Mice” as it has neither eyes or a nose.  But her new mousie has two cute little ears and a nice plaited tail, so I hope she likes it.  Gemma is tucked up fast asleep at the moment, so when she awakes I’m going to spray her new toy with catnip spray and sees what she thinks of it.  She often dunks her toys in her water bowl when she has finished playing with thhem, for whatever reason!

P1020229

Gemma’s new toy

Gemma’s birthday coincided with Prince Phillip’s funeral service, so we spent some time in front of the TV watching that.  (Robin had our NZ flag at half mast as a sign of respect).  For those from overseas, New Zealand is a Commonwealth country and Queen Elizabeth is our Head of State, and we are governed by our own parliament.

And for an update on my back problem – I met up with the Neurosurgeon last week.  He told me that the more simple vascular treatment which was first discussed was not now an option, but instead I would need surgery – within the next four weeks.  I am so pleased that this will soon be taking place, as I have been told if this problem is left untreated I would end up in a wheelchair.  So it’s quite serious, no wonder I’m having trouble standing and walking.  At the moment I’m trying to take things easy and rest my back as much as I can, but you can't stay off your feet all day long, can you.  Luckily sitting doesn’t cause me any problems, so I can knit, stitch, read, and even spend a little time at the sewing machine, as long as I don't overdo things.  Wish me luck!

14 comments:

Nancy J said...

Happy Birthday Gemma. The funeral, just as Prince Philip wanted, loved the reflections in the trombones as the regiments were on the grass, superb photography all round. Your back, when I had my spinal surgery, the surgeon also told me if I didn't have it I would be in a wheelchair so soon. Decisions are easy when there is no other option. i have another treadmill test next week, cancelled from yesterday, after some recent angina and ambulance drives.guess I will try and do the Everest ascent again!!!

Maria said...

Nice Mouse for Gemmas BD...
Wishing you all the best with back op....

Julierose said...

Good thoughts for your upcoming surgery winging their way out to you...

That is such a cute little mousie you made for Gemma...;)))
Best of luck Hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I hope your surgery can be scheduled soon and that you will recover quickly and get back to your routine. I hope the hospital stay will not be long. I watched the funeral here in the states as I just felt like and there is something about the royal family I find interesting although I wish the media wouldn't be such big gossips reporting on every detail of their life and let them be

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Happy Birthday to Gemma. I watched much of the funeral, and loved the pageantry at which the British excel. Prince Philip would have approved.

I’ve been thinking of you and hope that your surgery is scheduled soon so you can have relief from the pain.

nestki said...

I am wishing you luck with your surgery. Not long to wait now!

Judith nb Serena said...

I've been following all your blogs but haven't commented as my Internet connection is very poor but thought I'd give it a try and wish you well with your surgery. There is nothing worse than back pain hopefully it'll soon be gone. Judith nb Serena

HEATHER B said...

Happy Birthday to Gemma. she was quite a show off the other day for the sew wot ladies. All the best for the treatment for your back Jenny. Love our get togethers and following your blogs of patchwork and travels. cheers Heather B

Jackie said...

Happy Birthday to Gemma. I love her little mouse gift.

God bless.

Danice G said...

Happy birthday to Gemma. I have had the back surgery, and it really helped my condition a lot. I will be praying for you.

Debi said...

Happy Birthday Gemma! Her mouse is adorable and I am sure she loved it! I am so sorry to hear you are dealing with health issues. I hope your surgery goes well and you are doing all of the things you love in no time. Hugs to you!

Karen S said...

Good luck with the op and keep resting. Looks like Gemma had a a perfect cat birthday.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Happy birthday, Gemma! Goodness, Jenny, here's hoping your upcoming surgery goes well and corrects the problem with your back. I know Robin will take good care of you post op!

Janice said...

I’m sure Gemma enjoyed playing with her mousy. Joey has an orange one. He is 13, but every now and then he gets the dashes and chases it all over the place. It then gets mislaid until we eventually find it under a chair or cupboard. I’m glad they will be able to treat your back. It will be good to get the surgery over and done with soon. Take it easy until then.