Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, January 25, 2020

Going Green

This is my second year of taking part in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, organised by Angela of Sew Scrappy.  I really enjoyed my inaugural year so I’m raring to go again.  The only problem is deciding what to make from all the designs and patterns I have printed off!  Finally, the decision has been made, I’ve been looking through my scraps, and some blocks have been sewn.

The colour chosen for January is light/bright green.  First I made some checkerboard blocks, eventually to become a donation quilt for a boy.  I’m doing the suggested colour with white, as it will be for a boy no pink or flower prints will be allowed!  All the blocks will be edged with a black and white print.  Once the pieces are cut and prepared, this is a nice easy block to make.

P1330493
Green checkerboard blocks

Next up were butterfly blocks for a girls donation quilt.  A little more fiddly to make, with some smaller pieces, and I now have three green butterflies ready to spread their wings. The butterflies will need strips around the blocks, I think, but maybe I’ll wait till they are all done and I’m ready to assemble them.   I think the secret with these RSC blocks is to get everything cut and prepared earlier  then sit and do the stitching another day.  That’s what I’ll be doing.

P1330494
Three green butterflies

Believe it or not, but I have a third RSC project – this one will be for me.  It involves some foundation piecing, and I’m yet to start, so wish me luck.  I just hope the design is not too ambitious for me – I’ll keep you posted.

14 comments:

Kate said...

I like the butterfly block.

Julierose said...

Lovely choices for RSc 2020...hugs, Julierose

Tired Teacher said...

The checkerboard blocks look like zipper blocks I've seen on some blocks. They make an attractive quilt.

Maria said...

Two fantastic RSC blocks , one for a boy and the butterflies for a girl.
I'm looking forward to seeing the third block you are doing for yourself...

Bits of Stitching! said...

Lovely blocks, the butterfly ones are so cute! Have fun stitching!

loulee said...

Your green blocks look good. Yay! My butterflies have company.

Cathy said...

I think your blocks for both the boy and the girl quilts are excellent! Now I’m anxious to see what you’ll be paper piecing!

Janice said...

You wasted no time in getting to the sewing room. I’ll enjoy seeing your projects grow. Have fun with your FPP blocks. I’m half heartedly thinking of a further RSC project... We’ll see.

Michelle Ridgway said...

RSC is such good fun. I love both the blocks you have chosen. The butterflies are so sweet x

Karen S said...

Great to have a plan to use your blocks. They look wonderful.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Both of your blocks are just great! I especially like the checkerboards - they're going to make a neat design!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Loving your RSC blocks in Light GREEN!! Anxious to see your collections grow (and see what you are cooking up for yourself, too.)

Jeanne said...

The butterflies are especially cute! Can't wait to see your paper piecing!

Raewyn said...

Firstly, good luck with the project for yourself - I look forward to seeing it! You've made a great start to the year with those blocks - a really lovely way to build charity quilts.