Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, July 12, 2026

Here comes a Tuatara

I've spent a little time stitching around a tuatara on my New Zealand panel.  I've been lucky enough to hold one of these rather special creatures.  Those spines on the head and back are not sharp, but rather feel rubbery - yes, I had to touch and see for myself.


Stitching a tuatara

The tuatara is endemic to New Zealand and is known as a "living fossil".  They are the only surviving members of an ancient lineage (Sphenodontia) that thrived alongside dinosaurs, and are unique because they are not lizards.  Introduced predators brought in by settlers have taken their toll, and tuataras are now only found on predator free off shore islands and in fenced sanctuaries.  They can live for 60-100 years.

As well as a little slow stitching, I'm keeping busy with knitting, and have started another pair of socks, using the pink 4ply sock yarn my daughter gave me on Mother's Day.  Because  I prefer thicker socks, I'm pairing it with pale pink double knit.  And doing flat knitting, two at a time, because that's the way I like to knit socks.


A new pair of socks for me

Guess I'll have to admit to having several other knitting projects on the go.  A couple of babies hats,  my summer cotton jumper, and a 12 ply blue cardigan are waiting to be picked up and worked on too.  Just like  quilting, with lots started, it seems I'm just the same with knitting as well.  But they will all get finished sometime, I'm sure.

There has been quite bad weather over parts of the country lately.   Once again, the ferries and planes were cancelled, there has been bad flooding and road damage,  but it seems to have missed my area, luckily.  Today has been cool but sunny here.  Gemma has been soaking up the sun streaming through the venetian blinds while relaxing on a dining chair.  She likes to tuck her head under the corner of the tablecloth.  Cat's have the best life, don't they?


Gemma does a great job of relaxing

But it is mid winter so that means plenty of home made soup.  I love making, and eating soup, and this pumpkin soup was nice and tasty with a little curry powder and cooked bacon added.


Pumpkin soup for lunch

The days have been cool but sunny, with the mornings and evening cold enough to enjoy the ease of the heat pump.  I can remember the years of open fires, buying and stacking wood, chopping kindling, cleaning out the grate,  lighting the fire after returning home from a long day at work.  Fires do look so cozy and comforting, and have a wonderful relaxing ambience, but I'm pleased things are so much easier for me now.

17 comments:

Julierose said...

What a pretty color for your new socks--using that extra yarn will make them doubly cozy for sure.
Interesting little creature indigenous to your island...I don't know if I would be touching one though;)))
enjoy your yummy sounding soup...hugs, Julierose

The Cozy Quilter said...

What an interesting creature the tuatara is! I love learning about New Zealand on your blog. This is such a neat panel that you are hand quilting.
Your new socks are going to be pretty and cozy!
Gemma is a bit quirky but very lovable!

Helenchaffin said...

I think if I seen a tuatara I'd run the other way 😄 I've never tried pumpkin soup but it looks delicious!

FlourishingPalms said...

It's always good to see what you're working on. And yay you (yay, me too!) for having multiple on-the-go projects! As you said, they'll all get done eventually. I admire your ability to just "know" what's right when it comes to sock-making. I'm sure I wouldn't have thought to put two yarns together to get the right feel, and what a lovely pairing that makes! The two-tone pink is so pretty! Knitting two at a time makes complete sense, as I'm sure the gauge and tension will be equal on both socks. Again I'll say how impressed I am with your knitting skills. Someday I wanna be "just like Jenny."

CathieJ said...

Pumpkin soup with bacon. Yum! Thanks for the info on the Tuatara. I have never been brave enough to hold a reptile. Well done. I am planning on getting some sock yarn today. I like the socks you are knitting. I look forward to seeing your other projects again too.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I can see the dinosaur in that creature it is a very interesting look. Glad the bad weather missed you. I like a fire place and have one and used to use it a lot but after awhile I grew tired of cleaning up involved and rarely use it now.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

That is so interesting about the tuatara; I am unfamiliar with them. Your panel is looking wonderful as well as your knitting, Jenny. Pumpkin soup- yum yum! Enjoy your day.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The tuatara is an interesting animal! Looks like fun to be quilting around one on your panel. Pretty pink sock yarn, too! Your soup sounds yummy.

Nancy J said...

Our fire has been going day and night lately, heat pumps and that wonderful underfloor heating are wonderful. Yes, we missed that weather delude and wind, family had their strait crossing then were stranded in Blenheim for a few days, and with the main south road still closed made the extra long trip via Lewis Pass, on to Hurunui ( we stopped there in 1986) and are now in Methven., Wonderful hot pools with disability access available, a huge bonus. Gemma, you have the best plans for winter comfort!!!

Jo said...

I too love homemade soups. I made a vegetable one the other day which lasted 2 meals. Very happy with that one. It doesn’t matter how many knitting projects are on the go. Just enjoy them

Karen S said...

Great to see your slow stitching progressing well.
Those pinks are going to look lovely in socks, and so warm.
I can remember the days of collecting firewood too, and am very pleased not to be doing that anymore, even though open fires are lovely.

Jenn Jilks said...

I enjoyed your post! Well done with the stitching. I like reptiles and amphibians.
Nice pinks! Good luck with that!

Sarah said...

Those creatures really are prehistoric! This is going to be an interesting panel. Enjoy!

bunw1125@gmail.com said...

I love the stitching!

time4stitchn said...

Thanks for the information of the tuatara. I learned a lot and know I would have touched and held it if I were given the chance. What a great creature! And what a great hand quilting project. As always, I admire the knitting and know you like the pink. So glad you have a furbaby as my daughter calls cats. They are persnickety , but so fun. It is hard to think of cold when we in the northern hemisphere are roaring hot. ( Up to the 90s this week. ) I LOVE soups and yours sounds delicious!

Jackie said...

What an interesting creature the tuatara is. Definitely would have held and touched it. Lots of great projects being done in your house. We just went through a very hot spell of temperatures feeling like 114 F. Not at all nice.

God bless.

Janice said...

Your quilting is coming along nicely and yes, Gemma does have the life of Riley. I agree that wood fires are nice and atmospheric, but. I don’t miss the work that goes with them or the ash that settles throughout the house.