Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, September 7, 2024

My Batik Beauty

 This is another long winded RSC finish, which started off as another completely different project, way back when we lived in Upper Hutt.  I found my big bag of batiks, and decided to make Cobblestone blocks instead, and there it floundered again.  Eventually added it to the RSC list and started making Cobblestone blocks in the colour of the month, working away until I had stitched sufficient blocks to give me the required number for a large quilt.


My bag of batiks

The colours in this quilt is quite different from what I would usually choose for myself.  Lots of teal blue, purples, creams, dark blue, a little green and pink.  But batiks all seem to go together, don't they. Gemma helped with the final arrangement and the top was finally finished.  I had decided against adding a border.   Then it was sent it away to be commercially quilted.  


Gemma is such a big help

The top is finished

I like to get the binding done early

It took me a while, but I finally finished the label, so my Batik Beauty is finally done.  I had offered this project to my daughter and granddaughters, but they all declared they didn't like it.  I love it, and I'm happy it is finally finished living with me.

My Batik Beauty, finished at last

16 comments:

Julierose said...

This definitely is a "Beauty"!! I love the soft colors...and it looks great on your bed...nice work hugs, Julierose

The Cozy Quilter said...

Gorgeous quilt, Jenny! It looks wonderful on your bed. Well done! Gail at the Cozy Quilter

Helenchaffin said...

Ithe colors are beautiful together, it turned out beautifully!

Maria said...

Great to have a finish and it looks lovely on your bed.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

OMG they didn't like it!! It looks wonderful I love batiks and that pattern is so nice and easy to do the colors look lovely together

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

This is a beauty, Jenny! Gorgeous, soft colors. You are so right that batiks just go together. Congratulations on your finish!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Well done: it’s a stunning quilt! Love the colors

Sue said...

The quilt is fabulous! All the different colours blend so well. I love it!

Deb A said...

That is a wonderful quilt. I love the colors and what a great pattern to highlight those pretty batiks. I'm thinking it is happy to be living with you.

loulee said...

I love it too. I want one!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Your quilt looks fabulous, Jenny . Such pretty colors. Congratulations on your fantastic finish. I love seeing Gemma too. She is a doll.

Berkshire Tatter said...

Batiks are usually not my favorite, but your quilt is gorgeous!! Makes me need to rethink batiks.

Marthanne

Connie said...

My, I think it is absolutely beautiful. I cannot imagine why your daughter and granddaughters didn't like it. (Did I read that correctly, it just seems impossible). Well I think it's lovely and it looks beautiful on your bed. Enjoy!

Susan said...

Love that quilt - i think you are lucky the others didnt like it!

Karen S said...

I think it is a lovely quilt. Great colours. Glad to see it has a special place to live.

FlourishingPalms said...

Congratulations on a lovely finish produced by your hardworking hands! It looks great on your bed, and I'm happy you're using it. I am familiar with the unpleasant feeling of having one's gift of a quilt refused. Keep making, and enjoy!