Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Wednesday, January 4, 2023

The Prettiest Quilt Shop in Town

There’s no doubt about it, as we drove past this cute little shop on the way to Greymouth, towing the caravan behind us, I remarked that we would have to return to this shop the next day.  Bright and colourful on the outside, I was sure it would be just as nice inside.

P1010351

Pink Possum Quilt Shop

I was after some backing fabric for my second piece of traced out stitchery.  Yes, Sue had some of that and cut me a piece, then I had a look around the shop to see what else took my fancy.   There were plenty of fabric, samples, panels, notions, and lots of kits, I noticed.

P1010353P1010352

Lots to inspect and admire

Yes, I did make a couple of other purchases.  I found an easy bag pattern, and of course I couldn't walk past  this little caravan kit.  Designed by Wendy Williams, all fabric, thread and felt pieces are supplied.  There was also a bin of $1 fabric pieces, so a couple of those were added to my purchases too.

P1010356

These came home with me

Not far from Greymouth is the Runanga Miners' Hall.  The current structure dates from 1937, and replaced an early miners' hall from 1908 that was destroyed by fire.  The hall is notable for its place in  history of the organised labour movement in New Zealand, and was granted Historic Place Category 1 status by Heritage New Zealand in 2013.  Although looking rather worse for wear, it is currently being restored.

P1010339

Getting a spruce up

Greymouth is the largest town on the West Coast, and was founded during the West Coast gold rush of the 1860s, but for 150 years after this its economy was based on coal mining and native timber forestry. These brought prosperity to the town which at one point had 47 hotels.  The central part of Greymouth was regularly flooded when a high tide coincided with a flood in the Grey River.  A flood wall (locally known as ‘the great wall of Greymouth’) now protects the town, and provides a pleasant walk along the south side of the river.

P1010347

On the great wall of Greymouth

After a couple of rather hot and sticky days here, the rain has now set in.  But we’ve had time to do copious amounts of laundry, restock supplies, refuel the Jeep, and have a quick look around town.  We are moving on tomorrow, where to, I wonder?

16 comments:

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

I can not wait to hear where your journey leads you tomorrow. Safe travels, Jenny. That was one cute quilt shop. Great haul. The little camper is perfect for you and eeeh! $1.00 fabric. You can't go wrong there.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it is always fun to find the quilt shops along the way isn't it - sometimes you can find one that is really unique!

Julierose said...

What a wonderful adventure you are having; love that little quilt shop--your caravan kit looks so neat!!
Take care and stay safe on the road...hugs, Julierose

Tired Teacher 2 said...

The Hall will look great after its renovation. I like to see towns preserve the older buildings and retain some of the history of the area. Great finds at the Pink Possum.

CathieJ said...

Oh that quilt shop looks wonderful. I like your purchases. It sounds like you are having a nice trip. Enjoy!

FlourishingPalms said...

Greymouth! I've been there. Though I believe it was a train stop for us, so we didn't see much of the city. So glad you found a quilt shop! Looks like you picked up a couple good keepsake projects.

loulee said...

What a lovely looking shop. Safe travels.

Jackie said...

What a well set up shop. Glad that you found a few items to purchase.

Thanks for the history of the town. I can't imagine getting flooded out so much that a wall would need to be built.

God bless.

Janice said...

It is a cute shop. I love the bee mini. Your purchases look fun, in particular the Wendy Williams caravan.

Michelle Ridgway said...

A very cute shop to discover and lovely loot to come away with....enjoyed reading about your visit x

Maria said...

It's always fun to find a lovely little quilt shop.
The fold up bags will make great gifts and I like the cute caravan project.

Karen S said...

Love the name of that quilt shop. And glad you found some goodies to purchase!

FlashinScissors said...

That shop was a great find! Love the bee quilt!
Look forward to seeing the bag. I do seem to keep making bags, so yours will be of interest to me.
Great to read about your travels.
Hugs,
Barbara xxx

Ivani said...

So fun finding a quilt shop along your travel way, great you found some keepsake projects to go home with you.

deer said...

Love the name of that quilt shop
Hope you have a wonderful time!

Anonymous said...

When we travel I always scout out quilt shops along the way even if it means a few detours.