Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, January 14, 2023

Donuts, Pies and a Knitting Mishap

Any Homer Simpson fans out there?  We stayed the night at Springfield, a small town in Canterbury, at the foot of the Southern Alps.  Believe it or not, Springfield is famous for a large pink donut, but where did it come from?    The  movie studio 20th Century Fox presented a giant pink donut to the town in 2007  to promote the premiere of The Simpsons Movie.  We are not really Simpson fans, but even we know that Homer Simpson loves donuts.

P1010531

That’s a very big donut

Just 10km down the road was Sheffield, home of the world famous in New Zealand Sheffield Pies.  The number of cars, trucks and motor homes parked outside the shop was unbelievable, on both sides of the road – seems the rumour was true, the pies certainly must be famous indeed!  Robin had to drive around the block to find room to park our rig. Just look at all those people munching away on their Sheffield pies on the veranda, and there were plenty more customers inside.  And the customers were right, those pies were delicious for “lunch on the go” while we continued on our way.

P1010539

Happy customers make great advertising

Robin chose a bottle of coke, but I wanted a coffee for lunch.  I thought this poster by the coffee machine was very apt.

P1010540

We were on our way to a “new to us” NZMCA camp down a gravel road by the Waimakariri River.  There are plenty of gravel areas to park in, more than enough room for just the three vans on site, but some extra vans may well turn up later in the day. 

P1010544

We had only just arrived, wound the legs down, when the rain came down.  This looks like a good place to while the afternoon away and enjoy some R&R.   Or do some knitting, or maybe work on my stitchery perhaps?  Robin is having a rest, his knee is giving him a bit of pain lately.  Gemma has her afternoon all taken care of.  She has hopped onto the bed, given herself a good grooming, then settled down for a while. No doubt she will let me know when to serve her evening meal.   Cats have a great life, don't they!

P1010545

Gemma is happy

I was keen to get on with the armhole shaping on the navy blue jacket I had taken away as holiday knitting.  But something was wrong, when doing the decreases for the start of the armholes I ended up with an incorrect number of stitches.  So I counted them again, no, still a different number.  Finally I decided to check the number of stitches I had started with, down in the ribbing, and was rather shocked to find that I had not cast on the correct number of stitches right from the beginning. How on earth had I done that?  There was nothing for it, I had to rip it all out and start again – all those hours of knitting down the drain.  Oh, bother!  So now I’m starting again on the rib band, and double checked the correct number of stitches.  I think what happened is that I was in a rush to get my knitting projects underway before we departed for our trip, I’ll have to be more careful in future.

P1010546P1010547

Undoing the back and starting over again

17 comments:

Janice said...

Sometimes it is nice to just while away some time in the van. We all need down time when travelling. I hope Robin’s knee comes good soon. What a pain about your knitting. At least by starting again you won’t run out of a knitting project for a while. Good luck second time around.

Nancy J said...

Did you know that the famous " Sheffield Pies" business is for sale? No wonder everyone is running there so quickly. Rain, a good time to sit in comfort and unpick the wretched knitting !!!

FlashinScissors said...

Gemma looks very happy on your beautiful quilt! It certainly is a great cats life!
Looks a great site for the caravans to park.
Love the story about the doughnut - it is SO Homer Simpson!
How frustrating having to rip your knitting back, but it I’ll be worth it when you’re done!
I hope Robin’s knee is better soon.
Barbara xx

ButterZ said...

The pies sound yummy. How funny to see that donut. We lived near a Springfield too but there was no reference to the Simpsons. The rain clouds look bad. Oh no. All that knitting. Lucky you enjoy doing it.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Ugh on having to undo all that knitting. I’m enjoying following along with you on all your adventures!

Julierose said...

I love that "Pie and Lattes" sign ;))) Nice to see a sense of humor is still around in these serious days !! :000
Oh sorry you had to rip out your pretty knitting!! I had begun a crochet blanket and as I looked back--I saw a huge error right near the beginning!! --so I will spend the morning ripping it out to the starting chain...
S I G H --I am not a good crocheter but this uses the Granny cluster and I like the look of it...and so it goes, right? It's the turning chains at the end of rows that have gotten me all messed up...
Hugs for a wonderful rest of your travels Julierose

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Love the Pie and Lattes, LOL!! So sorry you had to undo all that work!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sorry you have to start the knitting over but the good thing about knitting is you can do that! I looked up Sheffield Pies and it does look like a good menu and very popular!The good thing of camping is even if it started to rain before you got set up you have dry clothes inside to change into quickly.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Raveling a large piece of knitting is frustrating! May you have smooth knitting from now on. The large donut is fun. I’ve never been a fan of the Simpsons, but I certainly know who they are.

CathieJ said...

Counting knitting is everything I find. Even crocheting. I am so sorry that you had to start over. That donut is quite large. What an interesting tale of its origins. I am glad you liked the pie shop and were able to get a nice lunch. Your campsite does look empty. Good thing you got all set up before the rain. The rain itself could be why Robin's knee is acting up. Enjoy your travels!

Ivani said...

That is really a big Donut. LOL
Oh My!!! My mouth is watering for those pies!
No!!! it's so frustrating to rip all those rows knitted...lesson lerned I guess. Double check always.

Ali Honey said...

I know for patchwork and sewing it is "Measure twice cut once!" Not sure what it is for knitting?

Jackie said...

Really big pink iced doughnut there.

Ouch I understand your frustration with having to count and recount and then realize the mistake was right at the beginning.

God bless.

Connie said...

I am so sorry about your knitting project. It's always so frustrating to rip anything out and start over. Love your pretty bedspread.

Astrid said...

Fun 'Pie & Lattes' sign and the pies sound yummy. Gemma is happy sleeping on your beautiful quilt. Oh no! Sorry you have to undo all that knitting. Hope Robin's knee is better.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Jenny , it is so much fun to read about your camping adventures. Ya'll are seeing and doing so much. I think I would have stopped to enjoy a taste of the pies as well. I do hope Robin's knee feels better . You will have your knitting corrected in no time. Have a lovely weekend.

FlourishingPalms said...

That's sure a big pink donut! I remember reading "In a Sunburnt Country" by Bill Bryson, and him talking about the BIG symbols (strawberry, bugs, etc.) all over Australia. I guess NZ has a similar passion. So fun! So those Sheffield pies are meat or vegetable pies? Not dessert pies? Or do they have both? Right now, either one would be a yummy treat. Sorry that Robin's knee is still bothering him. Rest is probably best, and it was a good occasion for you to hunker down and figure out the problem with your jacket. Again, I'm sorry for you having to undo knitting too. Very frustrating. But you'll be more satisfied knowing you've done it right.