Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, May 29, 2021

Home again

To make things easier for hospital visiting Robin moved or caravan closer to Wellington to reduce the travel time.  The day arrived for my spinal operation and I was whisked away.  The six hour operation went well, the surgeon told us, and I am now sporting a 10 inch scar down my backbone..  Must say that the neurosurgical team were so professional and certainly inspired confidence. I was hooked up to all sorts of equipment,  and the nursing care was excellent.  Although it was difficult to lay prone on my tummy for some time each day.

P1020352P1020353

As expected the next few days were a bit rough, and then came a treat, my first time out of bed and sitting on the chair.  Who is that old lady clad in the rather fetching  hospital gown?

P1020358

First time out of bed

After seven days in Wellington Hospital there was another adventure ahead – an ambulance ride up to Palmerston North Hospital.  I was taken down to the Transit Lounge – think of a small, rather busy railway station.  Wheelchairs and beds were wheeled in and out, and those who could walk were seated around, waiting to be collected by family and friends.  Patients who were moving on to another hospital facility, as I was, waited patiently for the ambulances to arrive.  It was a two hour drive in the ambulance, bounce, bounce, and I could keep up with the journey peeping through the glass paneled rear door.

On day three at Palmerston North Hospital  the physios, OT staff and doctors were happy for me to return home, with a walker to help out while I got my mobility back.    I’m told it will be a slow recovery as I had pressure on my spinal cord for the previous two years, so things have to get back to normal again. Gemma decided that since I had left her for a while, she would greet me on her terms!  On the first night back I tottered outside to get a glimpse at the blood moon, what a sight that was. 

P1020360

To welcome me home

Robin has been wonderful while all this is going on, although he is suffering himself as he waits to be called up for his knee replacement operation.  Together we will puddle along,  and home is certainly  the best place to recover.

13 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

I'm glad your surgery went well and you are back home on the mend. Take your time recuperating, don't rush things. Blessings!

Kate said...

I wish you a speedy recovery Jenny!

Maria said...

Pleased all went well with your surgery and wish you a good slow recovery... just take it easy.....🤗😘💐

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

so glad your surgery has went well and your time in the hospital is done - I was thinking of you. Good that Robin was able to just spend time in the camper to be closer to you and not do a lot of driving and I hope after you recover he will be able to get his knee replacement done. Take care!

Julierose said...

Relieved to hear that all went well, Jenny--good luck and best wishes on a good recovery for you...hugs and well-wishes Julierose

Rose Marie said...

So glad you are recovering and 'yes' home is the best place to be! Take time to slowly recover. My sister's SIL had back surgery but didn't listen to Dr. advice to not lift anything heavy; and therefore, bummed up the surgery and is still suffering years later as the surgeon can't undo what she did.

ButterZ said...

I am so glad everything has gone well for you. Keep up the good work healing and resting. Thinking of your speedy recovery...

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Happy to hear that you are home to recuperate. Best wishes!

Nancy J said...

What wonderful news Jenny. I tried to phone several times but guess Robin was either in the van or visiting and I couldn't find a mobile number. Wellington Hospital, and although I was there for just 2 days, found the care excellent. The gentleman who brought the meal trolley around, he even opened the cardboard carton of milk for me, I am guessing this is done for everyone, as those who have had open heart surgery find the task a bit difficult. Lots of rest, Gemma a great companion, and Robin, take care as you wait for your new knee.Rest up, go slowly, and I might be next in the theatre for my postponed cataract surgery on 8th June, as long as this cold and cough goes away. Friday will be my deadline to phone and say I am well or NOT. XXX and I am so happy to know all went well.

nestki said...

Thank you for this good news and welcome update. This was a big deal; you deserve a big congratulations!

Karen S said...

Lovely to hear that all went so well for you. And pleased you are well enough to be at home now. Take care with your recovery. Hope hubby can get his knee op soon, too.

Judith nb Serena said...

So glad all went well with the surgery and you are now home. Follow advice and don't be in a rush to do things. Slow but sure is the best way. Hope Robin doesn't have to wait too long for his new knee. XXX Judith nb Serena

Katie said...

So glad to hear it went well. I'll be needing back surgery one of these days too. Hoping it's a few years yet.