Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Monday, November 16, 2020

A Slow Week

It’s been rather a slow week here, as far as stitching goes.  No rolling the dice, and sadly, no chance to start assembling one or other of my Rainbow Scrap Challenge projects.  But…… I did get one out, my little spool wall-hanging I’m making for the sewing room, look at it to see how I want to arrange the spools, and that’s about it.  Does that count for anything?   The only actual stitching I’ve done is for a secret squirrel Christmas project, and you know I cant show that just yet.  Or maybe, just a smidgeon.

P1010099

Secret Sewing

Actually, our last week has been rather trying, as we had to rush Gemma to the vets.  She had been sick multiple times during the night, so something was obviously wrong.  After a check, the vet suggested we leave her there for the day, while they took blood for tests, rehydrated under the skin and gave her an ultrasound.  We collected her later in the day, paid the princely sum of $700 for her big day out, and waited several days for the results.  Luckily she didn't have pancreatitis as suspected, so that is a great relief.  One of her tests came back slightly elevated so  will be monitored in the future.  Poor little Gemma was rather stressed during her stay at the vet’s we were told, and happy to return home, shaved tummy and neck and all.  Thank goodness she has bounced back nicely, so we aren't really any the wiser what was the cause of all the upset.

P1010101

Recovered and just chilling out

Tomorrow we are heading north with the caravan for three weeks, so that will curtail my sewing time again.  Mind you, I’m taking some hand quilting, plus my knitting bag, so hopefully will get some of each done.  Plus taking my Colourpoint Cats quilt top up to Linda in Taupo to work her magic, she does such beautiful free hand commercial quilting.  It will be lovely to see her and her sister Peggy again, it’s been a while.

11 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that is one expensive cat! glad the poor little thing is feeling better - have on your get away

Nancy J said...

I hope Gemma stays well on your trip, and you can all enjoy some warmer northern weather. Such a shame vet charges are not subsidised by the Govt., a bit like the dentist, the cash flows the second you walk in the door.

Karen S said...

Sorry to read about Gemma but pleased she appears to be okay.

Lyndsey said...

I'm sorry to hear Gemma's been unwell. It's always worse with out furry loved ones as they can't describe their problems to the vet. Enjoy your trip away and stay safe.

Kim said...

Oh dear, poor Gemma. I hope she is okay. It is always worrying when our pets are unwell. Aren't vets expensive?? The wallet is easily emptied with each visit. I did smile at the photo of her; she looks completely chilled. I hope you enjoy your little trip, Jenny. I hope you are able to sneak moments for a little hand stitching and knitting whilst you are away.

Julierose said...

Oh happy that Gemma is on the mend--a camping trip away may be just what you all need after the worries...stay safe...
Cases here are skyrocketing with so many flaunting their "so-called rights" to not wear masks or social distance...really, how dumb and dangerous and unempathetic...S I G H
Well, we are in our bubble here...still self-isolating...hugs, Julierose

Jackie said...

I am so glad to hear that Gemma has gotten better. She is just a beautiful cat.

Enjoy your time away.

God bless.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Tell Linda and Peggy “Hello!” I dearly miss their blogs.

Maria said...

Pleased alls okay with Gemma..
Sometimes we just need a break from sewing..
Enjoy your trip.
Look forward to seeing the quilt when its been quilted...

Janice said...

What a relief that Gemma is now OK. Let's hope it was just a one off event. I think a few of us will not be sharing much stitching at the moment, with secret projects to the fore. Enjoy your next trip away.

FlourishingPalms said...

My goodness, what we won't do (and pay) for our pets, right? Though I miss our dear boy Hogan (a dog), neither of us miss vet bills. I'm happy for you to have a get-away. Everyone, especially here in the US, would love to escape for a while. I did last week, spending a whole week away with three quilt-y friends. We played it very safe in advance, intentionally forming our own hand-selected "pod." It was a week of sewing bliss!