Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, February 12, 2023

A Visit to Annie's

Isn't this such a lovely looking shop?  Heading back north, we stopped at Ashburton once again for an overnight stop.  We whizzed right past Annie's when we were heading south down the island, so I was determined to call in for a visit on our return trip.  And I wasn't disappointed.  Annie’s Country Quilt Store is based in a 100 year old pioneer cottage, and is chocker-block full of delights. 

P1020152

Annie’s Country Quilt Store

I had forgotten about owner Rachel’s love of egg beaters, and there they are, still hanging up on a rail.

P1020153

Rachel’s egg beater obsession

P1020154

Plenty of goodies in this shop

There was such a lot to look at.  I checked out some patterns, looked at lots of lovely fabric, and purchased a couple of gifts, it’s always handy to get them done ahead of time.  Then two lots of fabric for me, I have projects in mind for these.

P1020155

These two for future projects

My knitting is coming along well.  I’ve passed the armhole shaping on the back of my cardigan/jacket and now I’m about half way up the back yoke.  I’m really pleased with my progress as you may remember I unraveled the back a while ago as I had not cast on enough stitches and was knitting merrily away before I discovered the error.

P1020157

Nearly finished the back

So how is the South Island  holiday going, you may be wondering?  We stopped of at Waimate, a lovely little town.  Did you know that there are wallabies in Waimate?  Wallabies were introduced from Australia and released for hunting purposes near Waimate in 1874. Fifty years later, they were recognized as a pest, responsible for destroying pasture, native regeneration, damaging fences and displacing stock. They may look cute, but they are an introduced species and are not welcome.

P1020131

Waimate has unwanted wallabies

Another claim to fame in Waimate is their white horse high up on the hill.  Retired farmer Norman Hayman and his wife Betty spent three months to prepare the ground and lay 1220 concrete slabs, with a huge 2.5 ton precast head. This was  tribute to the hard working Clydesdale horses who worked  the farms.  On a trip to England, Robin and I spent some time checking out several of the UK’s famous white horses on the hills,  each one was quite unique.

P2100147

The White Horse of Waimate

We stopped to admire the Silo Art back in town.  Waimate artist Bill Scott painted murals on grain silos at Transport Waimate’s Queen Street yard.  The silos were built by hand in 1920 and were the first of their kind in the country.  Hometown hero  WW11 soldier Eric Batchelor was twice awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for conspicuous bravery when he served in Italy.  Beside him is Margaret Cruikshank, the first registered woman doctor in New Zealand.  She practiced in Waimate from 1897 until she fell victim to the 1918 influenza pandemic while treating patients.

P1020143

Silo Art

The reason I was so keen to stop at Waimate was to visit one of the pubs in my “Great Kiwi Pub Crawl” book, and check out the sad story of Ted’s Bottle at the Waihao Forks Hotel. Ted d’Auvergne was having a farewell drink or two with his mates at the pub, waiting for the train to take him to Burnham Military Camp for training before heading off to war.  Ted heard the train coming, and left an unopened bottle of beer on the bar, calling to the publican to “save it until I get back”.  Ted served for two years in the Middle East, was transferred to Greece, and was killed in May 1941 in the Battle of Crete.  The publican saved Ted’s bottle of Ballins XXXX beer, and it is now stored in a case above the bar, engraved with Ted’s battalion insignia.  Each April on Anzac Day, another poppy is placed inside the case, and the locals drink to Ted and all his fallen comrades.  There is a statue of Ted outside the pub, showing him waiting with his kit bag at the station.

IMG20230210150551P1020137

Ted’s Bottle at Waihao Forks Hotel

So that's what we have been getting up to the last few days.  We are cutting our holiday short by two weeks,  as Robin has a problem with  his leg and is up to his second lot of antibiotics.  You can imagine the stress we had trying to find a doctor while on holiday and traveling around.  I felt it was better to be cautious and head home a little earlier than we had planned, but  the earliest ferry booking we could get is in ten days time.

18 comments:

Kim said...

Oh, I hope Robin's leg will be okay. I completely understand your urgency in getting home to his doctor. I didn't know New Zealand had wallabies. Yes, they are cute but definitely a problem for farmers. I love silo art. I always think how clever the artists are with these huge artworks. As for Annie's quilt store; what a fabulous shop in which to wander. Cute Minnie and Mickey Mouse fabric. Your cardie is coming along nicely.

Ivani said...

Great progress with your cardigan. Annie's quilt store seems to be a nice place, glad you found fabrics for future projects. I am so sorry to hear you are cutting your vacation time but beeing up to the second lot of antibiotics and still in pain is not fun, poor Robin. Hope at home he can slow down and feel better while waiting for the doctor appointment. Have a nice week Jenny.

CathieJ said...

I am sorry that you need to cut your travels short, but better to have Robin see his own doctor. I enjoyed reading all the interesting stories about the wallabies, silo art and Ted. That quilt shop is quite interesting. My mother still has a hand egg beater like those.

FlourishingPalms said...

What lovely travels you've had! So nice to find a quilt shop, and one with collected egg beaters... that definitely is one-of-a-kind. That's cute Disney fabric that you picked up. As you can imagine, we see a LOT of that sort of stuff where I live. In fact, our community has a "Mickey Club"! I'm glad to see your good progress on the second attempt at knitting your jumper. Seeing such NZ landmarks - white horses, painted silos, mementos, statues and such - makes me think that by comparison, we don't have as many such tokens of remembrances here in the US. Your painted silos, and those in Australia too, are definitely my favorites. I'm sorry you're having to cut your trip a little short. How disappointing that Robin is still suffering with his knee replacement. That surely cannot be typical. I hope he gets treatement and heals soon.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Sorry you have to cut your trip short but hope that Robin’s leg issues improve soon. You are having a grand adventure on this trip! Your sweater is coming right along. Safe travels.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I understand getting home to see your doctor - it is hard to get treatment on the road at times - we have had to find them too. Sorry you can't get an earlier booking on the ferry. I assume this is the leg the surgery had been on.

Nancy J said...

two weeks will give Gabrielle time to pass, and the crossing should be calmer. Robin, hope the infection clears up soon. Waimate. I have two friends there, the South is so different to the North, I could live there in a flash !!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Such an interesting post, Jenny! You've been on quite a trip! I enjoyed the quilt shop and your pub visit, too. I hope Robin's leg doesn't cause him too much trouble before you can get home.

loulee said...

Annies is a wonderful shop. Did you pop in to the sewing shop in Waimate?
Safe journey home, you'll be glad you are not on the ferry this week, sounds like it won't be plain sailing.

Jackie said...

I do hope Robin's leg is okay. Nothing worse than having medical problems while on holiday.

That quilting shop looks like a place where one could spend hours looking around.

Hope you have a safe journey home.

God bless.

Lyndsey said...

A very interesting post Jenny. I really enjoyed reading it and learning a little more about New Zealand. Such a shame about Robin's leg and deciding to cut short your holiday but it is always easier to see a doctor who knows you and your problems and who you trust. Hugs.

Jenn Jilks said...

It must be tricky getting healthcare while travelling. Good luck!

Astrid said...

Interesting post Jenny, loved reading it and learn more about NZ. Sorry you have to cut your holiday short due to Robin's leg. Hope it's nothing serious. Lovely quilt store and you returned with the cute M&M fabric! Cute selection of egg beaters in the shop! Your knitting is coming along nicely.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

I wish you the best in your travels home, Jenny and hope that Robin's leg is healed very soon. Such lovely photos that you posted today. The quilt shop is amazing. Love the egg beater collection and the quilt on the back wall. I am so glad you found some fabrics for a future project.

Nancy said...

Gosh, I hope your husband's leg is okay and that the antibiotics do their work. It is hard to go to a doctor who doesn't know you and you don't know him. I hope all will be well, but such a concern, too.
Annie's looks like a delightful shop with a great variety. I love the rabbit quilt on the back wall.
Waimate looks like a really interesting town to visit. Thanks for sharing your photos and some of its stories. I don't often comment on your blog but I enjoy following along with you in your travels.
And from a previous post, Gemma in the hand basin.... My daughter's cats sometimes do the same thing. I guess it must be cool? Or is it the smoothness?

Karen S said...

There is still so much to see. I am glad you managed a visit to Annie's.
Hope Robin is okay!!!!!

ButterZ said...

Just wonderful. Yes kangaroos and wallabies are pests

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I don't know why but when I'm in a quilt shop, my eyes try to go everywhere all at once. I have to tell myself to stop it and focus, LOL> That shop definitely looks like one where I would do that. Meanwhile, I always get tears reading about these war heroes, so often just young boys really. But happily long remembered and honoured as they should be. I am sorry to read about Robin and think it best you two get home as sad as it is to cut your holidaying short.