Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, February 6, 2021

Yellow Birds and Boats

Luckily I had some spare time this week to get started on the Rainbow Scrap Challenge colour of the month, yellow, before we head away on a three week road trip.  I couldn’t find much yellow at all in my baskets, but luckily there were some small pieces I could use on my blocks.  Three yellow birdies got sewn, then I sat outside in the warm sunshine and stitched their little black legs on.  I laid them on the floor for a photo, and guess who arrived and plonked herself right down on top of those little birds!  If the birds were real they wouldn't have stood a chance with our big white hunter on the prowl.

P1010588P1010589

P1010590

With their feathered friends

How about some yellow boats?  These are nice simple blocks to stitch, and will eventually become a boy’s donation quilt.

P1010592

Three yellow boats

As mentioned, we will be away on a caravan trip for the next three weeks, so I won't be doing any more RSC sewing till we return home at the beginning of March.  Here in New Zealand we usually enjoy nice settled weather in February, so I’m looking forward to a little stitching outside in the warm sunny weather in camp.  Some of the places we will be visiting are “new to us”, as well as some old favourites.  I’ll keep you posted.

23 comments:

Julierose said...

Your little yellow birdies are adorable--I love their quirkiness...nice job ;))))
And I agree, those boats will make a great little boy's quilt....nice works
Enjoy your trip and your stitching...hugs for a safe journey Julierose

Gretchen Weaver said...

Have a wonderful road trip, it sounds like so much fun and so relaxing! I'm sure you'll take some hand stitching along too.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

maybe on your travels you can find a quilt shop and more yellow to add to your collection. I was very pleased that my stack of yellow fabric I ordered arrived so I can continue work on my applique block - have a fun trip

karenbbsnow said...

Jenny,
Those bird blocks are adorable! The cute little boat blocks will make a cute little boy quilt.

Enjoy your caravan trip, I'll be thinking of you as we wait out the cold winter here in Canada :)

Linda said...

Love those little birds. They have a cheeky look to them!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

As always, your Sew Wots post is a favourite of mine, Jenny. Intrigued by the crocheted edgings around those blocks. And that Lucy Boston is wonderful and the knitted wardrobe for the highly anticipated arrival. Lovely all. Your blocks here look so sunny; yellows are just that really. Take care, you two on your travels.

Kathy S. said...

Oh these chicks are soooo cute!

Sara said...

The bird blocks are so cute and will make such a charming quilt. Isn't it funny how cats just have to lay on top of quilt blocks? I miss my furry sewing buddy when I see photos like this because he did the same thing.

Maria said...

Those cute yellow birds definitely wouldn’t have had a chance with Gemma jumping on them....
The yellow boats look great... both blocks will become great kids quilts...
Have a lovely safe time away ....

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your bird blocks are so cute and happy, Jenny! The picture of your kitty plopped right on top of them is hilarious!

Raewyn said...

The wee bird blocks ae so cute and will make a gorgeous quilt, Jenny. As will the boat blocks! I hope you have great weather for travelling and have some nice productive evenings!

Jackie said...

I just love those birds. They make me smile.

God bless.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

The photo of Gemma is funny. She’s reclaiming her territory. Have a safe trip and I hope you have delightful weather for travel and for stitching.

Maggie said...

Dear Jenny,
Glad you got some sewing done before your trip. My niece moved to New Zealand last year with her hubby and baby daughter. Enjoy your trip. Love the birds and boats. Had to scrape the bottom of the barrel in my sewing room, did not have much yellow either.

grammajudyb said...

I’m fond of your birdies too! A great way to use up little bits! I hope your vacation is restful and fun! Maybe even a bit adventurous!

Karen S said...

Lovely blocks. The birds are gorgeous and the boats look great!

Sarah said...

Those birdies are super cute! I have a dog who lays claim like your kitty. Have a great trip!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Have a wonderful time on your trip! Gemma is so funny, plopping herself down right on top of the bird blocks!

scraphappy said...

What is it about cats and quilt blocks on the floor? I think she approves. Cute little birdies as well a boats. I hope you enjoy your trip. It sounds like a lovely plan.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Scrappy birds and boats? Sounds like a load of fun, Jenny!!

Janice said...

You did well to get a few blocks made. The birds are so cute. Enjoy your time away in your van. I look forward to seeing where you end up.

Katie Z. said...

I hope you have a lovely trip. Warm weather and sun sound lovely; we’re in a week of bitter cold!

Birthe Marie said...

Those birdies are so cute! It seems that your cat love them too! Have a wonderful trip!