Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, April 7, 2018

Two sets of Place Mats

I had my first finish of the year a couple of weeks ago using my New Zealand themed fabrics to make a memory table cloth, see link here.  But I still had lots of NZ fabrics left, just hanging about, as it tends to do.  I’m pleased to say that I’ve used up a couple more pieces, and have just finished stitching two sets of placemats to use in our caravan.

P1190139
Two sets of placemats

The top set features the last remaining piece of the fabric featuring the Stitchbird.  And I’m pleased that I had just enough of the cream/brown fabric that I used for the borders and binding, so that’s another piece gone from the stash.  There was enough of the backing fabric to use oh both sets of placemats, so that’s good too. 

The set of green placements were in the “use it all up” category too.  The feature fabric showcases the Kereru, or native pigeon, all set to eat some of those succulent and juicy Puriri berries.  The green leafy batik was a piece left over from my daughter’s 50th birthday quilt, and I found a strip of dark green long enough to do the binding.  Even the cotton batting was cobbled together from small pieces.

So that made me a happy quilter indeed.  As well as two sets of pretty placemats, I’ve also used up several bits and strips which have been hanging about for ages.

But I still have quite a bit of New Zealand fabric left over.  I’m going to roll it all up in a bundle and put it away for a while – who knows when inspiration may strike again?

P1190142
I still have these  NZ themed fabrics

10 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you will think of something eventually to use them for - they are pretty

Tired Teacher said...

The placemats are lovely - a wonderful way to use some special fabrics.

Nancy J said...

love those place mats. I have some fusible batting joining tape, press onto two very straight edges that are butted together, cover with a piece of cotton, and gently iron. Bingo,all joined perfectly. It comes in a roll, mine from Quilting and Beyond in South Auckland.

loulee said...

Your placemats look lovely. It's nice to use up bits and pieces, but also nice to keep a few.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Perfect use of your special NZ fabrics. I ma positive the stash multiplies in the night lol!

Maria said...

Beautiful placemats and it's great when we use up some stash...
Lots of lovely Kiwi fabrics to use at a later date...

Julierose said...

Love those placemats--nice job on them.;))) And I went back and looked at your tablecloth--that is a beauty!!
I like the title of that book "Triangle Free.." as I am definitely a triangle challenged gal...hate working with them. So no flying geese flocking on my quilts!! Anyway..I hope to make us some placemats as soon as I finish up my son's lap quilt...hugs, Julierose

crazyquilter said...

Great result on the tablecloth and the place mats.

I have a little stash of Kiwiana fabrics. You never know when they might be handy for NZ theme gift items.

We make them for our Wwoofers as a a thank you gift and momento of their time in NZ.

Nice to see you back to stitching - til next time the 'romany' calls.

Janice said...

Your placemats will be perfect for your van. There is such a great variety of Kiwiana fabrics.

Karen S said...

The placemats are a great way to use the fabric and be useful as well. Lovely.