Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Monday, April 9, 2018

Poroporo Wreath

At last, another finish on the series of New Zealand botanical blocks I am slowly stitching.  These are a series of applique blocks designed by Jenny Hunter and printed in the New Zealand Quilter Magazine some years ago.  I decided to change the applique patterns to stitcheries – and I am treating this as my “slow stitching project ” for the year.

P1190282
Poroporo Wreath

The Poroporo is a flowering bush and is closely related to potatoes, tomatoes, tamarillos and egg plants.  The Maori people ate the golden fruit and the leaves were used medicinally.  When the European settlers arrived, they named the plant bullibull, and made jam from the berries.

image
Poroporo bush

So that’s number four of the set of nine stitched – which design will I choose next, I wonder?

5 comments:

Maria said...

A very pretty wreath. Thanks for the info on the Poroporo bush.

Tired Teacher said...

Another lovely block! I enjoy learning about the plants and birds on your island home.

Katie said...

Pretty bush. And block! It's going to be wonderful when you get it all done.....slowly. ;-)

Karen S said...

Another great finish. That is a pretty flower.

grace said...

Hi, have just found your blog by searching for poroporo wreath. I found some old nz quilter magazines in an op shop and really loved the 2 nz botanical designs in issue 27 and 29. I suspected that there must be more in other issues but can't seem to find them anywhere. Would you be able to tell me what issue numbers the other ones are in so I can hopefully track them down? Would love to make a quilt with all 9 designs.
thanks
grace