Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, April 21, 2018

1930s baby Quilt–Finished

It’s good to have a finish, and I have to admit that this one was an easy finish.  With the quilt top and backing layered and pinned, it didn't take to long to do some simple machine quilting with my walking foot.  Then stitch the binding on.

P1190380

Last night I sat and stitched the binding down by hand while Robin was engrossed in a rugby game on TV.  I quite enjoy doing this step, quietly hand stitching on the back, and watching it get nearer and nearer to completion. 

P1190383
Blowing in the wind on the trellis

P1190388
On the wooden patio seat

This is the first time I have used 1930s fabrics, and most of these were a gift from my pen-friend Margaret from Birmingham, England.  Not quite sure what I will do with this cot sized quilt yet, it could go in to my Granny box but I think I’ll be waiting a long time for my grand daughters to marry and have babies.  It’s sure to find a home soon, there has been a flurry of weddings amongst Robin’s nieces over the last year or so.

P1190390
Back of the quilt

10 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it makes a cute cuddly quilt for sure. I do not usually use 30's prints either but I bought a jelly roll on a very good sale last year of them and I'm still thinking of what to make

Nancy J said...

Lovely fabrics Jenny, soft quilting lines, and all done, and for either baby boy or girl, could not be better.

Gemini Jen NZ said...

Really pretty, a nice way to use those 30s fabrics and I am sure you will find a suitable owner for it eventually. Well done!

Unknown said...

That is very pretty. Always nice to have a baby quilt or two on hand.

Tired Teacher said...

Well done! It looks cuddly and will be loved by a little one someday.

Chris said...

It's lovely! I like the detail on the back.

crazyquilter said...

Great finish. I love the finishing touch on the back.

At first I thought you were talking about a quilt that had been hanging around since 1930 to be finished - silly me!

No doubt it will find a home soon. Linda and I are often surprised when we have finished items in our stash with nowhere to go and then out of the blue a purpose is found and we are grateful to have had the item on hand.

Rolling the dice this week?

Maria said...

Such a pretty finish Jenny.
Great way you did the backing

Jenny said...

Thank you all for your kind comments. I am pleased with my finish, and doubly pleased that I have finally used up these gifted fabrics.

Guess I'll be rolling the dice again this week - wonder what Number I will get to work on?

The Cozy Quilter said...

Very nice! Some baby will enjoy all those bright colours. Binding is one of my favourite parts of the process.