Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Monday, October 16, 2017

What to Do?

Help!!! I’m trying to decide whether to add a border or not to my Soul Searching top, which finished up looking like this.  Big blocks of saturated colour on a cream background.

P1070143
My Soul Searching quilt top

One suggestion was to stitch a scrappy border.  What a mess I got into, pulling out the various colours I had used from my containers.  Cut strips off, and stitched them together into a couple of long lengths.

P1070296.
Lots of strips sewn together

Taking the quilt top outside, I arranged the border strip down one edge, plus some cream fabric across another, stood back and took some photos.

P1070293
With a piano key border, perhaps?

Mmmm – I’m not too sure.  But I’m leaning towards a “no” vote – It’s just a bit too busy for me.   I’m not really a “scrappy” person, and although there are nine colours in my quilt top, they are all nicely together in their colour families. (Perhaps I have a control problem?)  But I would appreciate some feedback, and would like to hear any other point of view.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like piano key borders, but I honestly think I like this one with just a white border (as you added on one side). It's very pretty.

Susan (Delaware, United States)

Esther Woollaston said...

It's lovely with those big lanterns of colour- use the binding as a way to frame them. I do enjoy reading your posts.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Tough call. If you want a border, you could group colors in the border (like a colorwash effect) but maybe just extend the white a bit more and frame it with the binding.


Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Margaret said...

Do you want the quilt to be bigger? If so, add a border. If not, leave it as it is!
Margaret

Karen S said...

How about using just one colour in the border? Make it simple and keep the design in the centre the focus of your quilt. But in the end it comes down to your personal taste. Good luck.
Cheers, Karen
http://sunburntquilts.com.au/

Nancy J said...

One colour definitely. I thought the strips might be the same colours as the lanterns, but plain will frame it so well. White, then a white binding with a flange of one lantern colour maybe.

Maria said...

Yes I think the lanterns look great and your binding is all your quilt needs...

Kate said...

Jenny, I agree with you that the piano key border is too busy plus it distracts from the gorgeous quilt. :)

Tired Teacher said...

I agree with Karen S and Nancy J - if you want a border, add only a single color.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Lovely lanterns of colour! I'd just skip any borders & bind it with your scrappy strips.

Katie said...

You could make the piano key border much narrower and use it as an inner border, then an outer border of your white background fabric and frame it with a solid binding in the color of your choice. I think the color of the binding will determine the color of your quilt. Red will make it a red quilt, blue a blue quilt and so on. It's interesting how that works. :-)

HEATHER B said...

Hi Jenny missed you at sew wots today. love the colours of your soul searching quilt. personally i think a white surround and a colourful binding would finish it off nicely. will enjoy seeing the finished quilt . Its a good idea to take photos while trialing the possibilities I find as somehow you just see it from a different point of view. love the quilting on the Raspberry Ripple/

Jenny said...

Thank you all for helpful comments, and taking the time to reply. I'm going to leave the top as it is, and make a scrappy binding to finish it off. That should look good, I feel.