Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Friday, October 20, 2017

I’ve Given Up!

That Rustic Reindeer I blogged about earlier has got the better of me – and I’ve given up on him.  The thick fabric I chose was no good, and there would have been no way I could have turned those narrow antlers right-side out after stitching around them. 

But I tried again, and cut the pattern out for the second time using a brown batik.  And once again, I had trouble when I stitched the head and tried to turn the head and antlers again.  So rather than have such a frustrating time, and not enjoying my sewing, I decided “enough is enough” and threw it all in the bin.  If anyone would like the magazine with the pattern, I’ll happily send it to you. 

P1070346
Rustic Reindeer – be gone!!

I do feel a bit of a failure, I must admit, and then I gave myself a good talking to!  This hobby of ours is meant to be enjoyable, and with this particular project I certainly was not enjoying myself.  And I know there are plenty more UFOs waiting in the wings for me, so I’ll concentrate on one of those, next time.

On a happier note, Sew Wot friend Carol called around with an early birthday gift, (next Monday is the big day) so that was a lovely surprise.  She gave me the sweetest African Violet in a pot, all beautifully wrapped.  Thank you so much Carol, I really appreciate your thoughtfulness.

P1070350
Thank you, Carol

5 comments:

Nancy J said...

I would turn him into a moose,and do flat antlers and stitch them so much that they would stay upright. Lovely day here, and your birthday, will you go out? stay home? or enjoy the sunshine we have right now? Beautiful day here.

Tired Teacher said...

Don't be too hard on yourself about the reindeer project. If a project is not cooperating and is not enjoyable, then it's perfectly alright to toss it in the bin. I've done it myself many times.

Happy early birthday!

Kate said...

You did the right thing by saying enough and you know that you gave it a good try.
Happy Birthday for Monday!

Cindy Bartz said...

How about using a stiff felt for the antlers? Looks cute but I have enough projects to last me a lifetime!

Razzle Dazzle Quilter said...

I've heard that life is too short to stuff a mushroom. Obviously it's too short t stuff a reindeer as well.