Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Monday, May 29, 2017

Saturday Stitching Day

Saturday dawned wet and miserable – just the sort of day to join other quilt club members for a day of stitching and companionship.  We were meeting in “new to me” premises, the local Vintage Car Club, and what a lovely building it was.  Warm and cozy, with lovely carpet under our feet, and  good kitchen facilities for making our cuppas.  Some hardy souls braved the rather wet conditions for a day of sewing and companionship.  There was plenty of room, and we could have accommodated many more club members, but perhaps the wet weather put them off.

Several members had recently attended a workshop run by Anna Williams on Celtic Circles and had brought along these intricate looking projects to work on.  Very beautiful indeed, and I’m sure I have Celtic blood running in my veins, but not for me and my fat fingers, I feel.  Lynne demonstrated how to make bias tape pulling the fabric underneath a pin and pressing the strip with a tiny iron.  Ooh, I could almost feel the iron burning my fingers, if I tried to do that!

P1050002
So that’s how you do it!

Others worked on their own projects.  Susan is still making blocks for her daughter’s bookcase quilt, and had hand stitched a spider web on one of them.

P1050009
Two of Susan’s bookcase blocks

And Madalyn was working on her Daily Dot blocks.  With one for every day of the year, 365 is an awful lot of tiny applique blocks to stitch, but she is coming along quite well with this project.

P1050006
Madalyn’s Daily Dots

As for me – I took along my Christmas Smorgasbord quilt and sat quietly hand stitching the hanging sleeve and label.  All done now.

P1050007

P1040965
Christmas Smorgasbord all finished

With friends due the next day for lunch I needed to get back home and get busy in the kitchen, so  I could only manage half a day stitching time    But I was pleased with my morning’s work, and it’s always so nice to stitch with others.

2 comments:

Katie said...

It’s so nice to finish a project. Lovely Christmas quilt!! :-)

Tired Teacher said...

Congratulations on a beautiful finish!