Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Friday, March 3, 2017

Friday Finish

After working on UFO number 4 most of the week, it is finally finished.  Round and round I went, adding borders – narrow ones, wider ones, and a bright pink one to finish off.  At last the top is complete.  Mind you, this is a very old UFO – those candlewick blocks were packed away in my suitcase when we travelled around England for three months way back in 1999.  I sat and stitched them in the evenings after a hard day’s sightseeing.  And all those blocks really deserve to be made into a finished top, after waiting so long.  And like a new baby being born, it deserves a name of it’s own.  Can’t keep calling it “UFO number 4” or “the candlewick top” for ever.  With splashes of bright pink which remind me of summer raspberries against the various shades of cream, how about “Whipped Cream and Raspberries”?

P1030961

P1030963
Quilt top finished at last

Patterns for the centre twelve candlewick blocks were selected from my two books by Alma Schabe.

P1000970

These twelve blocks surround “Ribbons and Lace” a pre-marked mini which I stitched some time after we had returned home from our trip.

P1010009

And I was so pleased when Sew Wot friend Moira brought along some eight candlewick blocks to one of our mornings.  She was having a clear out and looking to pass them on, and I was so happy to take them off her hands.  I have used four of Moira’s blocks in the corners of the quilt top.

Now the top is finished it will have to wait for a trip to the quilter – it is much too big for me to handle the quilting at home.  I’m all tuckered out – I’ve been sewing like crazy this week.  But its a great feeling to get another one of those UFOs ticked off my list!

P1030966
Blowing in the breeze

14 comments:

HEATHER B said...

That looks just fab and the name suits it fine. good on you Jenny and all the best for your results. see you soon. Heather B

Razzle Dazzle Quilter said...

Perfect combination. Perfect name.

Kate said...

Good on you for finishing this, Jenny, it is a beautiful quilt.

Adventurous Quilter said...

It's absolutely gorgeous!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Just caught up Jenny on your goings on. Whipped Cream and Raspberries is so pretty...what a beauty. And the satisfaction to boot of having another UFO done and dusted. Lovely to see you looking so hale and hearty too. Your corner of the world is such a beautiful place.

Tired Teacher said...

It's beautiful, and the name you selected is perfect! Well done

Katie said...

Oooooo. So pretty. I haven’t thought about candlewicking in years.

Janice said...

Just beautiful. I think this is a quilt that will really shine with the professional quilting, as it is hard an a domestic machine to do much around the actual candlewicking. I can't wait to see it all done and dusted.

Gemini Jen NZ said...

Beautiful work!

Maria said...

Can't wait to see your lovely Candlewick Quilt finished..

Preeti said...

Such a delicate look - very pretty.

CathieJ said...

Whipped cream and Raspberries is absolutely gorgeous. I love your pretty candlewicking. You are very talented.

Raewyn said...

Oh Jenny it is so exciting to see your Whipped Cream and Raspberries finished to flimsy stage! (what a lovely name!) You must be so delighted - and bet you cant wait till it comes back home again :-)

SuperMomNoCape said...

Whipped Cream and Raspberries is such a fun name for it! And it turned out so lovely!

I can imagine how good it feels to have it finished. :) I discovered a few UFOs I had forgotten all about when I was searching through one of my fabric bins the other day. Time for me to figure out what to do with them.

Thanks so much for linking up to last week's Stitchery Link Party. Aloha hugs!