Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Friday, June 24, 2016

My Amanda Jean Apron

It’s taken me a while, but there’s nothing unusual in that.  But once I saw Amanda Jean’s Scrap Happy Apron, I knew I had to make one too.  Luckily I had already made a whole lot of little twosies as scrap “leader and ender” sewing some time ago.  These were waiting in the wings to turn into another project when I finally got around to it.  So I raided my box to start putting the apron together, and made lots more from my coloured strips .

P9010003
It started out like this

The two patches doubled into four patches, then I made longer rows.  Other projects intruded on my time and the whole lot got packed up in a bag and put away.

P2220033
Progressed to this

Then way back in February I decided I really had to deal with all those bags of half finished projects.  Not ALL of them – that would be too much to cope with, just 6 at a time.  So I selected and listed six, and  each week with a roll of the dice, that was the one I will work on during that week.  And so it continued each week, another roll of the dice, another UFO, and another week to work on it.  My Amanda Jean apron was on my list as number 2, and after some serious sewing time at my machine this week,  I’m thrilled to say that I’ve completed it this week.

P1000779
My Amanda Jean apron

Those 2 1/2 inch squares resulted in an awful lot of seams so I decided to line the apron.  And I had just the thing, a pretty length of hand dyed cotton purchased from a market in Rarotonga during a long ago holiday there.  The soft cotton had splodges of purple, green and blue, and I stitched through both layers in a large grid to help secure some of the seams.

P1000783
Hand dyed fabric on the back

So with this completed project I’ve now crossed number 2 off my “List of Six” and will have to find a replacement.  Mmmm, wonder what it will be?

15 comments:

Katie said...

What a wonderful choice for binding, ties and backing. :-)

TheEclecticAbuela said...

I LOVE this! :)

Raewyn said...

Such a fun apron! Good on you finishing it, and working through your bags of projects! I like the idea of the rolling of the dice.

Kitty said...

This looks great! The backing and binding ties it all together nicely (no pun intended!! LOL). Lovely finish!

Sew Much For Free Time said...

This is so cute! And so finished! Yay for finishing up a WIP. Keep going! Have a wonderful weekend.

loulee said...

Love your apron. :-)

Tawa said...

Well done, have you christened it with cake batter yet? Have a great weekend, and keep dry. I think Palmy is reverting to its former state as a wetland, hopefully its a little bit drier down your way.

Jayne Honnold said...

Congratulations on your finish! It looks fantastic! I really like how you are having fun with your method of deciding which UFO to work on - listing just 6 and then rolling the dice - great way to keep yourself motivated. Bravo!

Nancy J said...

Lovely apron backing, ( front is superb too, bright and so colourful) and this could be a two-way one. Bit cold here this morning, some more rain overnight.

Linda said...

Beautiful, and I love your cat header, it is gorgeous! :)

Annette said...

Love your apron, much to my mothers dismay, I don't like wearing them! but would love this one. Thanks for sharing, must find the link now.
Hope your feeling better as each day passes. Take care, Annette xxx

Jenny said...

Thank you ladies, for your sweet comments, very much appreciated.
Linda, I couldn't find your contact details on your blog to thank you personally. The cat on the header is our beautiful Birman Muffy who recently passed away.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I love aprons and need to wear them....the messiest cook ever! I even keep it on to eat...messiest eater ever apparently. Anyway, what a beauty this is turning out to be. I love the colours.

FlourishingPalms said...

What a neat apron! And it's made even better by using scraps and a hunk of languishing fabric. Super! I love Amanda Jean's creative ideas for using scraps, and this is one of them. Very good job, Jenny!

NickiJ said...

Can't wait to find out what has been put into the no.2 spot!! Hope you get lots of baking done with your new pinny :)