Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Wednesday, June 8, 2016

And the Dice rolls……UFO number 4

With my (current) UFOs listed from 1 to 6, it’s been interesting how often the same numbers appear week after week.  Not so this time, the roll of the dice called up UFO number 4, which hadn’t been worked on for a while.  This is my “Little Letters” quilt designed by the Temecula Quilt Company and offered as a free pattern sometime last year. This colourful letters on this lovely little quilt were all made with scraps from my 2 1/2 inch box.

P1000726
Ready to quilt wavy lines

The top was completed, it was all pinned up ready to quilt, and I wanted to try the “Organic Wavy Lines” type of quilting.  Lorna from Sew Fresh Quilts uses this design on many of her animal quilts, and it always looks great.  So I gave it a try, and had to admit defeat.  My effort pulled at the back, and didn’t look good at all., sadly, although I was using my walking foot.  So out came my trusty unpicker, and I spent ages undoing 8 lines of quilting.

P1000727
Have to unpick these lines of quilting

So it was on to Plan B, which entailed stitching in the ditch around the sashing strips for a start.  All nicely pinned to stop any movement.  I’ve recently purchased some new pins, and one of these days I’m going to weed out all those nasty bent and damaged pins and replace them   with nice new ones.

P1000728
Plan B quilting, all pinned up

Needless to say, with all the extra time it took me to unpick the earlier quilting, I haven’t done as much today as I hoped.  But never mind, I've got till the end of the week to  keep  plugging away at UFO number 4.  Then I'll roll the dice again!

3 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

I like to do straight line quilting. I stitch in the ditch vertically and horizontality around the blocks, then just straight up and down. I don't curve. I also set the stitch length a bit longer. I personally thought your quilting looked fine. We are our own worst critic, and may I say, our own quilt police. Blessings, Gretchen

Janice said...

How frustrating for it to pucker. Best to start again rather than end up with an end product that doesn't do justice to your lovely piecing. Good luck with Plan B.

Afton Warrick said...

Hey, you're doing a letter quilt too! Thanks for sharing the link. Your quilt looks great. Sorry to hear about the quilting snafu; I hate picking out quilting. Best of luck.