Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, October 5, 2014

More Quilts from Cotton-On Quilters Exhibition.

Speaking for myself, I really appreciate an on-site cafe at a quilt show.  After walking around the hall for a while, Maria, Carolyn and I really needed a sit down.  It was close enough to lunchtime so we ordered some tasty homemade  soup, (choice of pumpkin or chicken and veggie) served with a bread roll, and so reasonably priced. Well done, catering staff, the soup was delicious.  Well rested, fed and watered, it was back to the hall again.

With a cry of, “That's my cousin”,  a lady in blue rushed up to me.  My cousin Barbara is also a quilter, and a member of Cotton-On Quilters.  Like a lot of families, we just seem to meet up at funerals.  We had a good chat, caught up with news of our last remaining maternal Aunt, then she took me to see one of her quilts on display.

PA040031 My cousin and me, Barbara and Jenny

Barbara called her black, white and red quilt “New Zealand Sisters”.   The Disappearing Nine Patch Jelly Roll pattern was designed by Mary Metcalf.

PA040035 
New Zealand Sisters, by my cousin Barbara

Judy Potts made “Poppa’s Digger” for her friend’s grand-son.  What a great quilt for a little boy, so colourful and graphic.  I’m sure he loves it.

PA040012 
Poppa’s Digger

Rosalie Conder’s quilt “Cappuccino”  was a “Block of the Month”  quilt from The Cloth Shop in Palmerston North.  Very nice too.

PA040041 Cappuccino

Another pretty stitchery quilt caught my eye.  Simply called “Red Work”  it was stitched by Betty Boss.  The stitcheries are country themed, and I could see sheep, chickens, a rabbit, pigs and pumpkins amongst the blocks.

PA040049 Red Work

Veronica Davidson stitched “Not Forgotten”  in memory of her parents.  This wonderful family heirloom  quilt features poppies, Celtic appliqué, and photo transfers of her parents in their military uniforms.  What a wonderful loving tribute to create.

PA040047 Not Forgotten

And lastly, this was my Viewers Choice, a most beautiful version of a Baltimore Album quilt, called “Betty’s Quilt”.  The hand appliquéd masterpiece took Alison Brockway  two and a half years to complete, and was expertly machine quilted by  Robin Frost. I love the appliqué vine borders, full of leaves and flowers, birds and dragonflies.  Just superb!

PA040005

PA040007 Betty’s Quilt

So there you go, a glimpse of some of the work by the Cotton-On Quilters.  I was very restrained looking through all the wonderful goodies on offer from the various merchants and only bought a piece of brown felt to make a set of antlers for my yo-yo Christmas reindeer.  A lovely exhibition indeed, and I enjoyed my time there.

No comments: