After sewing steadily for the last week or so, I’ve completed the star blocks for a Memory quilt I’m making for a friend. This type of quilt is always a bit different to making a regular quilt. Various shirts, tee shirts, a work jersey and a scarf were all included in the bag of clothing I received. Although it’s up to me how I go about designing this wall-hanging, my friend Pauline has asked for a couple of particular items (or parts of the same) be used. Memory quilts seem to evolve as you go along, I feel.
To these star blocks
I’ve had a fine old time chopping the logos off various tee shirts and a work jersey, adding stabiliser to the back of these knit fabrics to stop them from stretching as I sewed the blocks together. On one particular block, I’ve changed the colour of the star points three times. Versions one and two looked fine on their own, but did not go with the the rest of the blocks when I laid them all out together. Just goes to show what a big difference a little splash of colour can make.
The next step will sash the blocks together. I’ve had enough stitching today so will get on to that in a day or two, and there may well be something suitable in the bag. There is no need to worry about the border just yet, I’m taking this process one step at a time. Things have to be meaningful in a Memory quilt, I feel. And I want to do a good job for Pauline, in memory of Geoff.