Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Rangitikei Country Quilters Quilt Show

Who doesn’t love going to a quilt show?  And spending the weekend away in the caravan too, just because we can.  Robin dropped me off at the hall, I paid my $5 entry, and purchased tickets in several raffles (fingers crossed, I just love those big baskets packed full of goodies).  Into the hall I walked, full of quilts, quilts and more quilts. 

The quilts were displayed on racks, and around the walls the spaces had been nicely divided into little rooms.  Lots of extras were added to the displays, such as dolls, prams, and stuffed toys, making at all look very homely.
 
PA050031 Children’s quilts on display

A group of ladies were crowding around “Poached Eggs and Blueberries”, by Sue McClelland.  Mostly stitched by hand, it was meant to be a small wall-hanging but grew out of control.  Each of the centre circles or ovals have different stitching around them.

PA050032Poached Eggs and Blueberries, by Sue McClelland

Simple but very effective, black, white and red always makes for a graphic quilt.  Designed, stitched and quilted by Christine Maas.

PA050065  Red Maketh the Magic, by Christine Maas

The quilt club organised a group of ladies to sit and stitch to show non quilters just what is involved in making a quilt.  These two ladies were busy sewing on old Singer sewing machines – aren’t they lucky to still own one of these!  Like a lot of people my age, I learnt to sew on a treadle machine, and they are very collectable these days.

PA050054Showing how it is done

This bright and breezy quilt was stitched from lots of spotty fabrics.  Made and quilted by Anne Mimmack, and the pattern was sourced from the Internet, and won a Red Ribbon for Best Junior Award.

PA050047Spot the Daisy, by   Anne Mimmack

I love big quilts, and this simple but graphic block really caught my eye.  So much, that I chose this as my Viewer’s Choice.  Brenda Martin made her quilt from a Keepsake Quilting pattern, and made it from all sorts of odd fat quarters.  Hence the name, Allsorts and Oddfellows.

PA050037 Allsorts and Oddfellows, by Brenda Martin

As I wandered around the exhibition, I was thrilled when two ladies approached me to say they are quilt blog readers.  It is always great to get feedback and to know that what is written is read and not just floating around in cyber-space.  Thanks for stopping to chat, ladies.  I went off to find the Merchants Mall, and although I looked, fondled, picked things up, and looked some more, only came away with two fat quarters for my burgundy and cream quilt.  Then it was on for coffee and cake and to rest my feet.  The cafe was run by college students as a fund raiser for their up-coming South Island Kayaking trip.  Now, back to the exhibition
.
I love the cosy look of wool quilts and Betty Lambert came up with the perfect name.  “Winter Warmer” is her own design and made from wool fabric.

PA050057 Winter Warmer by Betty Lambert

And last but not least, this pretty bag won a Red Ribbon for Judges Prize.  Embellished with organza flowers and beads, it just shouts “Springtime”, doesn’t it?

PA050050 Field of Daffodils bag, by Judith Scott

I had a lovely morning at the exhibition, looking at and admiring all those beautiful quilts.  Still have more photos, so may put some extra up later.

No comments: