Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Dreams at the Book Club

I’m one of those people who feel lost without a book or three to read.  In fact, I find it hard to understand why some people never read much at all.  To each their own, I suppose.  Since I’ve stopped work I rather enjoy going along to the Book Club at our local library each month.  The librarian who runs our lively little group sets the topic, and we all go and peruse the shelves looking for something to suit.  This gets us out of our comfort zones, and we are exposed to authors and subjects which we probably wouldn’t have chosen.

This month’s subject was “Armchair Travellers”.  After a little thought, I chose a travel book on the Grand Canyon.  Since our visit to Niagara Falls several years ago, I had often thought that seeing the Grand Canyon would really complete our appreciation of the natural wonders of USA.   One day, perhaps – we will just have to keep buying those lottery tickets!  Another in our group chose a book about “The Rose Red City of Petra”, a place she would dearly love to visit, and others mentioned their favourite places, bus tours, train trips as well.  We can all dream, can’t we?

After our local library was extended a year or so ago, new gardens were designed and many trees and shrubs planted.  The young magnolia trees are in bloom, and they look so pretty.  These slender trees will grow and mature over the years, and their spring blossoms will continue to delight visitors to the library for many years, I’m sure.

DSCF2704 Young magnolia tree

No comments: