Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Happy Waitangi Day

Today is Waitangi Day, the day we celebrate being New Zealanders living in “God’s Own Country”, often abbreviated to “Godzone”,   a phrase that has been used for more than 120 years by Kiwis to describe their homeland . 
Let me show you the New Zealand inspired quilts I have hanging up.  My NZ bird quilt is currently hanging in the hallway but I did not have room to photograph it properly there, so had to move it outside.  Hand appliquéd  (never again, so much easier by machine) and hand quilted, it features New Zealand native birds, a tuatara lizard, and pohutakawa flowers.  The pattern “Naturally New Zealand” was designed by Mary Fletcher, and I completed this quilt back in 2004.
DSCF2501 My New Zealand Bird quilt
Our caravan has two NZ inspired wall hangings.  “My Golden Kiwi” started out as a hand painted panel, purchased at a market some time ago while on holiday.  I added the border and it is machine quilted.
DSCF1901 My Golden Kiwi
There is a small (original) wall hanging above the caravan door, appliquéd with New Zealand trees and flax bushes.  Our two kiwis stand in front, one has feathers and the other is made from Matai, a native New Zealand timber.
DSCF5332 Kiwis on duty
I am off to view an outdoor quilt show today, what a lovely way to spend Waitangi Day.  I am sure there will be a few New Zealand themed quilts hanging in the breeze, so watch this space for a report tomorrow.  Happy Waitangi Day to all Kiwis, both home and abroad. 

1 comment:

Yvonne & Kevin said...

Hi Jenny,
Thank you for letting everyone know about the postponement of the Stonestead Outdoor Quilt Festival, Kevin & I were so disappointed, but are looking forward to next Sunday 13th February when we shall be hanging the 75 Quilts that have entered along with the challenge. This will follow the Class Preview Evening being held on Saturday 12th February at 7.00pm
Thanks again
Yvonne